Chapter Six: The Ranger

<><><><><><><><><><>

Everyone spun on their heels, their eyes wide with disbelief, their gazes piercing into my own very stubborn one. Gandalf looked at me wide-eyed, before turning to Elrond, who in turn regarded me as though in very intense thought.

I had to force back a laugh. It was ridiculous that these men found a woman travelling to Mordor to be a concept so much more foreign and unlikely than a hobbit doing exactly the same. I looked between each of the people gathered around Frodo, attempting to determine where they stood. First, the darkly-clad ranger, Aragorn, whose expression I could not read. The blonde man of Gondor and the stout dwarf, who mirrored the rest of the council's leery faces. Legolas, his mouth a thin line and his brows knitted in concern.

And finally, I looked to the small hobbit, Frodo, who allowed for a small, supportive smile to curl his lips, as he gave his head a slight nod. I nodded back, determined.

"I'm just as capable as any here," I stated firmly, stepping forward and standing my ground under the weight of their heavy, brooding eyes, "What place do you have to judge my skill before you've even seen it?"

I met Elrond's gaze, and his stare lowered.

"Very well," he said, and my shoulders relaxed, "Six companions-"

"Hey!" a meek yet determined voice called from the scrub that grew in excess along the perimeter of the floor.

And suddenly, from out of the bushes, ran another little hobbit, who was at Frodo's side instantaneously.

His sunny brown curls were just as frazzled as he himself appeared. However, as scared as he likely was, he did not show it, folding his arms in steadfast resolution.

"Mr. Frodo's not going anywhere without me," he concluded, looking at the council with a steady resilience.

"No, indeed, it's hardly possible to separate you, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not," Lord Elrond said with a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Hey! We're coming too!" two more hobbits stormed through the council from the doorway, and I chuckled.

This was indeed a shocking and unprecedented show of bravery and determination from who we'd deemed the frailest and most cowardly of races.

"Anyway," the shorter of the two began, "You need people of intelligence on this sort of... mission... quest... thing," he nodded, clearly very sure of himself.

"Ten companions.," Lord Elrond looked between the lot of us, appearing satisfied, "So be it. You shall be, the Fellowship of the Ring."

"Great," the smaller hobbit nodded his head, "Where are we going?"

"Go home, Elena. Please," I was surprised that of all people, Gandalf was the one most adamant on my resignation.

Of course, I'd been approached by many others over the past few days following the council, all of whom wound up discouraging me from joining the Fellowship. But never did I suspect that Gandalf had felt the same as those men who aimed to dissuade me. Make me doubt my abilities and resolve. Gandalf had always been one of my closest friends, someone whose support I'd counted on, and so, I couldn't help but feel a sense of betrayal at these newly aroused feelings he bore towards my involvement, whether or not they were well-intended.

"I won't, Gandalf, you know I won't."

"Elena, listen to me," he commanded, taking on the serious, angry tone he'd used only a handful of times before, "You've no idea what you're heading into. A fate awaits you out there, far worse than any you stand to face at the hands of the Uruk-Hai in your homeland."