Chapter Forty-Four: The White Mountains

<><><><><><><><><><>

Shortly after Gandalf and Pippin's impromptu departure from Edoras, what remained of us were again congregated in the throne room, this time by the wishes of Aragorn and I. Théoden had come very reluctantly, clearly wanting to drop the matter of war, and dust it under the carpet. Evidently, he still didn't think it concerned him or his people. When the door had closed again, welcoming Legolas and Gimli into the room, I, previously being settled into a bench, stood up and paced towards the fire. I looked up at Aragorn, welcoming him to start. He nodded grimly. Across from us, on the opposite side of the fire, Théoden stared blankly into the flames.

"Elena has offered to send word to Aerith, and call upon the Light Fae for aid," Aragorn said, his eye trained on Legolas, whose face had contorted into a frown.

"And I must travel alone," I continued, "Should Gondor send word here that they need of aid, it is best that Aragorn be here to answer their plea. It is clear that no one else will," I shot Théoden a reproachful glance, "And when Aragorn does leave for Gondor, he will need the two of you by his side."

Aragorn sighed audibly beside me, obviously not having settled comfortably on my plan to go alone. Disapproval was written all over Legolas' face, and Gimli was silent beside him. Théoden had not stirred.

"I will leave immediately," I went on through the silence, "And try to arrive back within a matter of days. Hopefully quickly enough to accompany you through to Gondor."

"You said he would need us by his side, but what of you?" Legolas asked tentatively, "Will no one at all go with you?"

"I won't have it."

"And I won't have you leave on your own," Aragorn said, "You very well know your chances of making it to Aerith aren't good ones. Especially on your own."

"The same thing was said when I'd made up my mind to go to Rivendell," I replied candidly.

The others fell into silence again, exchanging glances. Théoden remained mute and immobile. A few moments had passed before anyone spoke again.

"I will come with you," Legolas said firmly, taking a step closer to me.

"It isn't a debate," I said.

"I agree, it isn't," Aragorn chimed in, "You and Legolas will leave immediately, and hopefully return within five days, a week at greatest. In any case, we shall hope that it is before Gondor sends for aid. Should you return to Edoras and find me gone," he paused for a moment, glancing briefly at Théoden, "You know the route I will have taken."

I breathed a stiff sigh, knowing the argument was over. Legolas would accompany me.

I wasn't altogether upset over this, in fact, I was quite glad to have been provided with some company. Truth be told, the daunting treck looming ahead of me instilled a feeling quite similar to that which I felt before leaving Aerith. It would be a welcome comfort to have Legolas by my side through it. And yet, I couldn't shake the sick feeling in my stomach that I was again taking Legolas away when the others needed all the help they could get. Like back in Moria.

I was startled out of my dark reverie by a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to meet a pair of warm eyes.

"I will see to it that a horse is readied for you, along with whatever provisions you might need. Thank you, Elena," he said, before adding in an aside whisper, "Mui meleth."

I didn't recognize the words, and I couldn't ask him either, for no sooner had they lift his lips was Aragorn retreating from the room and making for the doors to the Hall. Gimli trailed leisurely after him, and Legolas came to my side. Théoden at last looked up.