Chapter Thirty-Two: By Order Of The King

<><><><><><><><><><>

Warm light streamed in through the window, the sun's rays caressing my face. I stretched, stifling a yawn as I pushed myself out of bed. It felt oddly nostalgic to wake up in a soft bed, my stomach full, and my body rested. I thought back to Lorien, then Rivendell, then all the way back to Aerith. For the first time I recognized how much I missed the smallest of things from home, like waking up in my own bed each morning and having the entire day to waste away without care or worry.

Shaking the thoughts from my head, I slid out of the bed, stalking over to the wardrobe. Draped over it was a linen dress. It was the same deep crimson as the flags of Rohan, and I felt another pang of familiarity at slipping it over my shoulders and buttoning the front. I extracted my necklace from the pocket of my discarded clothes, and for the first time since receiving it in Lorien, I slipped it over my head so that it hung loosely over my neck. The metal was cool against my chest. The Hall outside my room was nearly silent, but for the muffled voices that floated from the throne room. I made my way there, finding most were already awake and filling up on sumptuous breakfasts laid out over the long tables lining the halls.

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Cyne each sat in the one closest the doors. The pale morning light streamed from the open doorway and gleamed on the polished wood of their table. I approached them, seating myself beside Cyne and opposite Aragorn. I took care not to meet Aragorn's gaze as he and the others bid me good morning.

The meal was passed in a cheery exchange of stories, jokes, and meaningless chatter to pass the time by.

After quite some time had passed, Théoden emerged from the archway, looking weary. His worry lines seemed somehow deeper, the skin around his eyes toting bags heavier than our travelling ones. Gandalf trailed behind him, looking no worse for wear. I straightened up at seeing him, eager to know the decision he'd reached.

But he strode right passed us, making instead for one of his guards; the one, I noticed, that had thrown Gimli and I in the prison cell. They exchanged some brief words before the guard nodded, exiting the Hall. Gandalf and a few others followed.

Aragorn and I met each other's eyes for the first time that morning, both of which were overshadowed by our heavily furrowed brows.

"What news?" Gimli said gruffly.

"Follow Gamling and find it out for yourself," Théoden waved his hand towards the doors.

I cautiously stood, eyeing Théoden as I did so. The others followed suit, and we all exited the Hall, following the guard, Gamling, as he made his way down to the heart of Edoras.

Citizens of Edoras were already milling about, going about their day as morbidly as before. Most were either at work or heading there, but everyone paused at seeing Gamling, flanked by a dozen guards that had followed from the Hall. Behind him followed the rest of us.

"By order of the King," Gamling called out over the silent onlookers, "The city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourself with treasures. Take only what provisions you need."

Anxious chatter broke out amongst the spectators as children fled for their parents, and parents made for their children.

Gandalf pushed passed the crowd, making his way further down the mountain. With a quick glance between ourselves, we each followed behind him. Soon, his course became clearly aimed at the stables at the mountain's base.

"Helm's Deep!" Gimli huffed, frowning deeply, "They flee for the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their King?"