➵ t w o

➵ ⁘ ➵

➵ ⁘ ➵

Around half an hour after Jay left, Maddie had dragged herself out of her room. She couldn't stand the loneliness anymore. It only made her fall deeper into her thoughts. Deeper into the haunting memories. Deeper into the abyss of terror that she so desperately tried to bury in the very bottom of her mind. However, they always managed to resurface.

Maddie avoided human contact as much as possible. She didn't want people to see her in the state she was in. She didn't like people seeing her vulnerable and broken side. The tear stained cheeks, bags under her eyes. The only people she would let see that in her were Jay, Elyse and Ben. The only person who fully understood in this case was Ben.

Maddie knocked on the door to Ben's office with a small sigh. She wiped the tears from under her eyes as she waited for a response.

"Come on in." Ben's voice came from the inside. Maddie opened the door, closing it behind her. She turned, greeting him with a tired and distressed face.

"Hi..." She choked out.

"Maddie?" Ben said looking up. "What's wrong, I thought you were..." He trailed off. "You aren't sick, are you?" Maddie shook her head as tears pricked in her eyes.

"Is it him again?" Ben asked softly. Maddie nodded as tears began to escape from her eyes.

"H-he..." She tried to speak, but no more words came out.

"Come here," Ben said softly, opening his arms slightly. Maddie slowly walked forward and fell into Ben's arms in tears.

"He can't hurt you anymore. You're safe here." Ben soothed, to which Maddie nodded in response.

"I-I know... b-but my head doesn't be-believe it... if Maleficent got here..."

"Maleficent had magic. He doesn't." Ben pointed out.  Maddie buried her face in Ben's arm and continued to cry.

"I-I don't know how much fucking longer I can go on like this, Ben. I thought the haunting was over. I thought I was strong enough to not let it affect me. B-but I don't think I ever will be..."

"You are strong, Maddie. You're one of the strongest girls I know. And you will get over this." Ben said, rocking back and forth.

"Shouldn't I have gotten over it already?" Maddie sobbed. "The reality is that maybe I am weak. Just weak and broken."

"This isn't an easy thing to get over. And you never talked to a professional.... or anyone other than me about it." Ben said.

"I can't talk to a professional." Maddie said quickly. "My mum doesn't even know, Ben. I-I can't..."

"It might help you... even telling Jay would help." Ben replied as a suggestion.

"No." Maddie shook her head, standing more upright. "I-I can't do that... I don't need the sympathy."