➵ s e v e n

➵ ⁘ ➵

➵ ⁘ ➵

It was the next day at school now, and the boys were practising fencing. Jay had become Captain of the team and was basically coaching the team through the starting moves.

"En garde." Jay called after the boys had moved their masks down. Soon, they began to fence, and throughout, Jay called out different moves and commands as what they needed to do. After they had switched opponents, quite suddenly, another masked player jumped into the game. They headed straight for Jay, and the other boys stepped back away from the fighting pair. Jay removed his mask to reveal a look of confusion on his face as the mystery player stayed in an 'en garde' pose.

"Get 'em Jay!" Carlos said, watching from the sidelines with the other boys. Jay and the mystery player continued to fence, the mystery person clearly winning. Eventually, they manage to take Jay's sword from him, handling their own and Jay's.

"Jay, what happened?" One of the players asked.

"Finish him!" Another player commented. Jay seemed just as confused as everyone else, until the mystery player held his sword out to him. He kicked it up from their hand, catching it. He rose an eyebrow as the mystery player stood straight. They then finally removed their helmet, and a wave of red, curly hair came swishing out.

"Maddie?" Jay exclaimed, in a confused and shocked tone as people began to clap. Maddie held her helmet under her arm and grinned slightly.

"Yeah, you surprised, Muscles?" She questioned.

"But... you were ill." He furrowed his eyebrows, looking her up and down.

"Were." Maddie nodded. "Exactly. Past tense. I thought it was about time that I came back. And what better way to do it than show you up." She grinned.

"But... our argume-" Jay started. He was still confused and quite shocked that she was actually here, especially after what had happened the previous night.

"Let's not talk about that here, maybe?" Maddie interrupted before he could continue. "Just because I'm willing to forgive doesn't mean forget, Muscles." She responded, running a hand through her hair. "But we can talk about that later. You should put me on the team." She suggested, and Jay shrugged, stepping towards Maddie with a smile on his face. It was nice seeing her like this again after she hadn't been herself for the past few weeks.

"Hey, wha... what?!" The voice of Chad exclaimed, causing Maddie to instantly roll her eyes in response.

"And here we go." The redhead muttered as Chad stood next to Jay.

"No no no, we'll be the laughing stock of the League!" Chad said, looking at Maddie.

"You're already on the team to be laughed at, what's your point?" Maddie questioned, raising an eyebrow as Jay held in a snigger and looked to Chad, who rolled his eyes at Maddie's comment.

"Remember what happened when we let a girl on the Tourney team." Chad taunted.

"And whose fault was that, I wonder?" Maddie stepped forward. "Watch your mouth, Prince Jerk, I have a sword here and I'm not afraid to use it." She said, waving the sword around.

"So?" Jay questioned, looking at Chad. "She was still a good player until you ruined it all." He pointed out with a slight scowl forming on his lips.

"You're only defending her because she's your girlfriend." Chad scoffed. "And so? Have you even read the rule book?" He questioned, pulling a small book from his pocket as Maddie rolled her eyes again.

"You sure you haven't mistaken that for your little black book?" She asked in a high-pitched tone. Chad scowled at Maddie before flicking through the book. Jay leaned over his shoulder to read it.

"Section two, paragraph three, eleven dash four." Chad said, flipping to the page as Jay glanced at Maddie.

"Oh look, you've even got it memorised. It's like you were just waiting for the opportunity to flaunt that stupid little book at me to stop me from coming on the team." The redhead commented, the annoyance evident in her tone. Chad ignored her and nodded towards the book, pointing it out to Jay.

"A team will be comprised of a captain and eight men." Chad declared, holding it out to show Maddie and then spinning around, showing the book to everyone else. "Hm? You have to read the rule book." Chad muttered, showing the book to Jay.

"I think you're forgetting that you're down a man." Maddie pointed out. "Ben's busy with his king duties. Actually, now that I think about it, you're down two men. How did they even let you on the team?" Maddie questioned, raising an eyebrow at Chad. Chad furrowed his eyebrows and let out a grumble of annoyance.

"Exactly, we're down a man." He said, ignoring her comment about him.

"Two men." Maddie muttered.

"Mads, come on, he's not worth it." Jay said softly, looking at Maddie. She let out an annoyed sigh and folded her arms over her chest. "Alright guys, practise is over." He called, slapping Chad on the arm. "Let's go." Jay glanced at Maddie and stepped towards her. He pried the helmet and sword from her grip and placed them down. "You and a sword is dangerous." He said, taking her hand in his. Maddie rolled her eyes but followed as they left the room.

**
Maddie left the girls' locker room after getting changed to see Jay leaning against the wall, waiting for her.

"Hey Red." He greeted, standing up as she walked next to him. He pressed a kiss to her lips before she could say anything to him.

"What was that for?" Maddie asked after pulling away.

"A sorry for last night." He replied with a sigh. "I've been a dick to you." Maddie rolled her eyes.

"You don't need to tell me twice." She muttered under her breath, thankful that he didn't hear her. "I won't forget, Jay, but I can forgive." She smiled slightly.

"That's more than I deserve." He replied, pulling her into a hug. She hugged him back and just relaxed for a moment. She'd missed hugging him, honestly. However, the pair's moment was interrupted by the bell for lesson.

"Shit." Jay muttered. "I have Chemistry."

"History." Maddie sighed, looking up at him. Jay sighed, not wanting to leave Maddie.

"I'll see you at lunch, okay?" He said softly, pressing a kiss to her head. Maddie nodded and smiled.

"See ya Muscles." She said, stepping away from him. She then turned around and began to walk off, trying to ignore the anxiety bubbling within her now that she was walking alone.

( a/n : just in case it wasn't clear, yes, maddie does replace lonnie in this book )

➵ ⁘ ➵