➵ s i x

➵ ⁘ ➵

➵ ⁘ ➵

Maddie watched the arrow she had just shot pierce through the target, a straight bullseye. She couldn't stay in her room anymore. She had to get out. And the best way for her to relieve stress and anger was archery. It was pitch black, and Maddie knew she shouldn't be out after curfew, but she was way past the point of caring by now.
She could feel the tears rolling down her cheeks, but she couldn't feel the pain and heartache anymore. She was just kind of numb. She had found herself feeling that way a lot. She wanted to talk to Jay. She should talk to Jay. But she couldn't find the words. And, did he really care that much if he could make a 'joke' about practically cheating on her.

"Maddie?" A voice pulled Maddie from her thoughts. Maddie didn't need to turn around to see who it was, she recognised the voice. Evie. No doubt she'd come to find Maddie after seeing Jay. Either that or Jay had simply sent her to see Maddie.

Maddie didn't acknowledge Evie, she instead pulled another arrow from her quiver and placed it in her bow. She pulled the string back and then released the arrow. Another bullseye.
"Maddie... I know you're upset but-" Evie tried to speak.

"Great. Then you should understand that I want to be alone." Maddie cut her off, pulling another arrow from her quiver. Evie let out a sigh and walked in front of Maddie so she couldn't shoot another arrow.

"Talk to me, Maddie." Evie said softly, looking at the redhead. Maddie fought back more tears and lowered her bow. Evie gave a gentle smile and took Maddie's hand, leading her to the bleachers. The girls sat down beside each other and Maddie placed her bow and quiver by her feet. "I get we haven't talked one on one a lot, Maddie. But you're not okay, and I'm here for you." She paused as Maddie turned to look at her with a frown. Evie leaned over slightly and wiped the tear that was rolling down Maddie's cheek away with her thumb. "And this is not just because of Jay." Evie reassured, taking Maddie's hand. "What's wrong?" She asked, looking into Maddie's eyes. Maddie held the gaze for a moment before turning away, tears beginning to escape her eyes.

"Lately... everything." She muttered. Evie frowned.

"You're going to have to be a bit more specific, Mads." Evie said gently. Maddie let out a shaky sigh and looked down at her hands, Evie still holding one of them.

"I don't know." The redhead shook her head slightly. "Things just don't seem the same anymore. I've had my own... issues to deal with lately. And it's just taken everything out of me... I'm not myself." Evie nodded understandingly as Maddie continued to rant. "And then... it's hard to balance it all with a relationship. I can't do it. School, my mental health, friendships, Jay... it's too hard." She concealed a sob. Evie nodded again and gently caressed Maddie's hand with her thumb soothingly. "Things just don't seem the same between us anymore. We try... we're trying... but it's just..." Maddie trailed off and broke into sobs. Evie's frown deepened and she carefully pulled Maddie into a gentle hug.