two

it's sunday night. the night before rory and vicki start chilton. vicki is beyond nervous, but is trying to keep cool because that's what rory's doing. rory, vicki and their mother are sitting on their porch, lorelai's painting rory's toenails, while rory eats whipped cream from the can and vicki paints her own fingernails. 

"that's nice." lorelai comments sarcastically, after rory squirts a huge dollop of whipped cream into vicki's mouth.

"thank you." rory responds with a smile, while vicki doea a bowing motion with her already painted hand.

"don't move please." lorelai requests as she continues to paint rory's toenails.

"so, why are you insisting on doing this?" rory asks about her mother and sister's insistence of painting her nails. vicki raises her eyebrows and makes a 'duh' face.

"well, because you're starting private school tomorrow." lorelai says.

"and, at private school there are cute private school boys." vicki adds.

"yes, but I'm going to be wearing shoes. nobody's gonna see my feet." rory defends.

"okay, but everybody knows that private school girls are bad, and bad girls always wear red nail polish." lorelai says and vicki nods in agreement. rory rolls her eyes fondly at her mother and sister. there's a comfortable silence for a while as vicki focuses on her nails, and lorelai focuses on rory's.

"are you nervous?" lorelai asks her daughters in interest, breaking the silence.

"about what?" rory asks.

"about starting chilton." lorelai says.

"well, I wasn't until I heard about all those bad girls." rory jokes, making her mom and sister chuckle. suddenly lane runs up to the porch waving a CD excitedly.

"guys, guys! new CD - XTC, apple venus volume 2." lane calls happily, running up the steps.

"oh, woo, nails done!" lorelai says, hurriedly getting up, vicki excitedly following suit. lane, lorelai, and vicky into the house.

"but you only finished half my toes!" rory protests playfully.

"who cares? you're gonna be wearing shoes anyway!" lorelai calls teasingly, from inside the house. rory smiles and rolls her eyes running in with them.

vicki woke up on monday morning at 6:30am, to the sweet sound of 'every morning' playing on her radio. she flopped out of bed and put on her uniform that she had laid out the night before. it was a simple chilton button-up, newly hemmed plaid skirt, and blazar. vicki thought it was kinda cute, in it's own way. she then got ready, worriedly glancing at her mother's room when her clock hit 7. it was around 7:08 when rory rushed into her room, sighing in relief when she saw her taking out her curlers.

"hurry, it's almost 7:10 and i dunno if mom's up yet." rory says hurriedly, vicki shook out her hair, giving it a spray before grabbing her bag and following rory into their mother's room.

"mom!" rory exclaims, waking up their mother. lorelai is startled, but awake.

"what? god! hi." lorelai says tiredly.

"what are you doing?" rory asks in alarm.

"having a heart attack." lorelai says from her bed.

"we thought you were up. it's 7:10!" vicki says worriedly.

"what?" lorelia says, confused.

"it's 7:10!" rory repeats her sister's words.

"no." lorelai mumbles in denial. vicki grabs the pillow lorelai's hugging.

"it's 7:10!" rory insists. lorelai grabs her pillow out of vicki's hands.

"stop it! it's a quarter to six." lorelai exclaims, annoyed to her daughters.

"no, it's not!" vicki says.

"yes, it is! i set the clock for a quarter to six so it's. . ." lorelai trails off, tiredly. rory angrily grabs the clock and shows her the time.

"it's 7:10! dammit." lorelai exclaims and gets out of bed quickly, looking around her room for a robe.

"i'll go get our bags and warm up the car, 'kay?" vicki tells rory and walks out.

"we can't be late on our first day of school. do you know what happens to people when they're late on their first day?" rory complains to her mother.

"it's shorter?" lorelai says sarcastically, looking back at rory.

"for the rest of the year, they're labeled 'the late girl'." rory says.

"oh, so dramatic. where's the bathroom?" lorelai moans. rory quickly takes her by the shoulders and leads her down the hall into the bathroom.

"we have to go! what if there's traffic? mom!" rory nags loudly. lorelai walks past her and shuts the bathroom door.

"ugh, i had this all planned, you know. i was gonna get up early. i was gonna get coffee. i was gonna take a shower. i was gonna pick up my clothes from the dry cleaners." lorelai calls from inside the bathroom. she opens the door.

"oh my god. my clothes." lorelai says horrified.

"what?" rory says worriedly.

"i don't have any clean clothes." lorelai says, freaked out. she walks back into her bedroom, rory in tow.

"it's 7:15." rory reminds her.

"all my nice things were dirty.' lorelai says sadly.

"it's 7:16." rory says.

"oh my god, i was gonna wear my blue suit with the flippy skirt. i look so great in the flippy skirt." lorelai moans in complaint.

"it's 7:17." rory nags.

"okay, you know what, time lady? why don't you go downstairs and warm up the car with your sister? that would be really super. thank you." lorelai exclaims at her oldest.

"just hurry!" rory says, before going downstairs. upstairs lorelai rummages through her drawers.

"this sucks! this sucks! this sucks!" lorelai complains.

"it's 7:18!" rory calls from downstairs.