three

lorelai, rory, and vicki were having their weekly friday night dinner with the grandparents. the gilmore family was sitting at the table eating dinner. or rather finishing dinner.

"dinner was lovely, emily." richard compliments, making his wife blush.

"mira does make a perfect cassoulet." emily says with pride, making lorelai's eyebrows furrow at the name.

"who's mira?" she asks in confusion.

"our cook." emily says simply.

"i thought the cook was heidi." lorelai comments.

"oh, no, we let heidi go months ago. she had a problem closing things- the door, the refrigerator. . ." emily starts.

"the liquor bottle." richard adds, making vicki eyebrows raise and her giggle slightly.

"then it was trina, then sophia." emily says, listing them off.

"oh, i liked sophia." richard comments.

"you did not." emily tells him indignantly.

"i didn't?" richard asks, confused.

"she was the one who sang." emily says, reminding him.

"that's right -- terrible woman." richard concludes.

"and after sophia we had anton." emily says, resuming listing them off.

"that's right. anton was the one that I liked." richard comments, making lorelai's eyebrows furrow and her mouth open, which causes vicki to groan internally.

"i'm sorry, dad, how do you mix up anton and sophia?" lorelai asks incredulously.

"what do you mean?" richard says with a sigh.

"well, one is a man and one is a woman." lorelai says in a 'duh' tone.

"and your point being?" richard says dryly.

"that one is a man and one is a woman." lorelai says, repeating herself, vicki says a silent prayer that her mother will stop provoking richard and emily.

"i have a lot to do in a day, lorelai, i don't have time to keep up with a multitude of people that your mother employs." richard explains tiredly.

"but one is a man and one is a woman." lorelai says in disbelief. vicki almost yelled hallelujah when the cook came in with a cake, interupting her mother.

"the dinner was so wonderful, mira." lorelai compliments with a smile.

"it's sarah." the cook corrects quietly. this made lorelai's eyes widen in surprise.

"oh, i'm sorry." lorelai apologizes, sputtering. sarah leaves, making lorelai round on emily.

"mom! her name is sarah!" lorelai exclaims.

"i thought she said mira." emily says offhandly.

"ugh!" lorelai groans, throwing her hands in the air.

"hey, grandma, these plates are really pretty." rory says, stopping their mother from exploding, vicki sent her a thankful look.

"thank you, rory. they were your great-grandmother's." emily says with a smile.

"lorelai the first." richard informs them.

"i thought mom was the first." vicki says.

"not in the name." emily tells her.

"no, but in so many other things i was a regular trailblazer. just finishing your thought, mom." lorelai comments, stopping when she catches emily's piercing glare.