Prologue

Prologue - Shadowing Percy Jackson

"Soldier! Ready to comply?" The HYDRA commander barked at Perseus Jackson. He was only referred to as "Soldier," or sometimes "Combatant." Perseus' birth name was to never be used or else there was a risk of his memories being triggered and returning, for then he would not be the Soldier that HYDRA had molded him to be, inured after hours of torture and being pushed beyond his limits.

"Ready to comply," Soldier stoically replies.

"Your orders are to read this file and find Jonah Meric*. Kill him. Be back in no more than ten minutes," the HYDRA commander ordered Perseus Jackson.

Perseus took the file from the man's grasp. His face has hardened over the years of being stuck within HYDRA; a cold solid shell encompassing his heart.

Reading through the brief file, Perseus learned that the man lived in the United States. More specifically, he would be located at the capitol, Washington, DC. Discarding the papers, he allowed the ever present pressure in his gut take over his body, and he ripped apart his own molecules with a brief, pain-filled grunt, assembling them again using water vapor in the DC air a few seconds later.

Lately, HYDRA didn't care for Perseus enough to make sure he is unnoted, for they liked to show off their super soldiers, and therefore just gave him his usual assassin getup. Black clothing woven with protective material all over his important muscles and organs, straps and holders for all of his weapons. His steel knives, his guns, and his iron sword all fastened to his thighs and back. A dark grey mask covering his face with holes big enough to see his green eyes that were once filled with mirth, now dull and almost lifeless. His black, wavy hair was almost in his eyes; HYDRA only cut it once every few months.

Looking around and immediately locating Jonah Meric from memorizing his file picture, Perseus draws one of his hand guns, holding his arms out, both wrapped around the gun.

Everything froze, and as he lets out a little breath, the bullet whirs through the air and embeds itself into Meric's skull. Time speeds up again, and panic pursues after the gunshot. People have spotted the body and the assassin, backing away and calling the police. Sirens and screams fill the DC air as Perseus teleports away again, reporting back to HYDRA obediently.

The murder had lasted less than a minute, really. But Perseus couldn't help but feel strange, not as strong and adamantine as he usually felt. He felt ... bad. Perseus felt bad for killing that man, and he had killed dozens of other people the same way, yet felt a hint of the same thing every time. Guilt.

——————

First part! Comment what you think and please vote!

*I made up Jonah Meric. If he exists within the MCU, then it is a mere lucky coincidence. :)

Love you all,

Roman Evander