Chapter 1: Change

January 7, 2019

"Nice work, boys," our coach applauded my team after practice. Today was our first practice of the year, and we only had three and a half months before MLB season started. Considering we had a few weeks off during the holidays, we stayed in shape pretty well, if I must say so myself. "Okay, bring it in."

"Aye, ONE TWO THREE DODGERS!" Our team cheered in a hand-pile.

"Okay, boys, go get changed," Coach Rogers pointed to the locker rooms. "Wait, Marais, I need to speak to you."

I jogged over to the coach. "Yes, Coach?"

"I want to give a tryout to this one player I found," he explained. "Incredible batter, great catcher, might be good for the team."

"Okay?" I said. Personally, I thought our team was pretty good the way it was. With only three months until MLB, it might be hard to train someone new. "How does this concern me?"

"Uh, you're the youngest player on our team, Marais. I think this new player is younger than you, or pretty close," Coach looked up at me. "I want you to be their coach. I will be here, of course. But you started out young, I think you'll know what they're going through."

If I were someone else, I'd completely refuse to train some new boy even younger than me with such little time until MLB. But, I'm Jonah Marais, so I will do it. It's in my nature to help everyone.

"Understand, Marais?" I nodded. "Good. Tryout is tomorrow. It's just a tryout, but I think we'll need 'em. Great stuff from what I've heard."

I smiled. I at least hope this guy is actually good. Might make my life easier. I turned to join my teammates in the locker room, but Coach stopped me.

"Oh, one more thing," he began. I turned around with raised eyebrows. "I gave 'em your number, so if you get a text from a Virginia area code, just get acquainted." I nodded.

I changed out of my dirty, dusty jersey, pants, and cleats. When practicing before MLB, Coach forbids us to wear our actual uniforms so that they stay nice and fresh. In fact, at the beginning of the new year, we all get brand-new uniforms, including jerseys, caps and jackets. Ooh, I love new jackets.

I thought about Coach's words as I pulled on my turquoise button-up shirt. Virginia area code. Hm, interesting. I shoved my dirty clothes in my duffel bag, grabbed my skateboard, and skated home.

It's about 5 pm right now. The sunsets in LA are beautiful, but daylight savings currently allow the sun to set even before 5. It's a tragedy. Skating along the almost-dark sidewalks, I did a few tricks. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few baseball players that rides a skateboard on the daily. I mean, I'm the only 20-year-old on my team, making me the youngest.

I started playing baseball at a very young age. I've been playing as long as I remember, really. My dad got me my own baseball and glove when I was seven years old. I saw my first baseball game when I was maybe three years old. My own first game was when I was eight. I pitched, and I pitched the winning ball. Baseball is just in my blood.

I played baseball for my high school, where I grew up in Stillwater. For a small town in Minnesota, it wasn't competitive, but my friends and I treated it as if it were real. When I graduated high school in 2016, I was recruited to the Minnesota Twins after the MLB season finished for that year. I was the first 18-year-old to join a professional baseball team. I played in the 2017 MLB games for the Twins.

After the season ended, the Los Angeles Dodgers recruited me. The Dodgers! The guys I had looked up to my whole life! Of course I joined. My best friend, Daniel, and I moved out to LA. We are still in the process of persuading our families to move out too, and I'm convinced that if I win the World Series this year, they'll do it. Anyways, I played for the Dodgers MLB last year, in 2018. And I'm playing this year, obviously. My 21st birthday is right in the middle of the season, so I'm still the youngest player in the whole MLB, I think. Generally, you have to be 21, but I guess I'm the exception. Does that show that I'm skilled?

I smiled at my baseball memories as I reached my apartment. Daniel and I rent an apartment close to Dodger Stadium, which is basically just on the other side of the 5 freeway and Elysian Park. From our window, we can see the LA River, although normally it's dry because of LA's weird weather. It's actually really nice that Daniel decided to pick a place close to the stadium, considering he has a one hour commute a couple of times a week to UCLA, where he's studying architecture. But, Daniel is really nice like that; he'll give up a short drive so I can be close to where I need to be.

I walked in the door and inhaled the smell of ravioli. I dropped my bag at the door, kicked off my shoes and jacket, and followed the scent into the kitchen, where Daniel was making dinner.

"Thanks, Dani," I grinned at my best friend, doing our bro-shake.

"So, how was your first day of practice this year?" He asked, plating the pasta. I poured two glasses of water as I described my day.

"Well, we're all in pretty good shape still, which is great," I said, sitting down at the table and diving into the dish Daniel put in front of me. "Oh, and we might have a new player tomorrow."

Daniel raises his eyebrows. "This close to MLB season?"

"I said the same thing. But here's what's more: Coach Rogers wants me to train him," I leaned into the table.

"Wow," Daniel applauded. "Sounds like great news to me. You're good enough to be a coach yourself."

"I mean, yeah," I thought. "But, like, that's more for me to do. I wanted to focus on the game right now, not helping some newbie out. I was new to the Dodgers last year, so I wasn't perfect. But this year, I know what I'm doing."

"True," Daniel reasoned. "But I know you, Jonah. You'll help the poor fellow out, AND focus on the game. Who knows, maybe he could be you're new baseball buddy."

"Sure," I said, finishing my dinner. "Thanks, Dani, the pasta was great." I stood up and placed my dishes in the sink. I hugged Daniel's shoulders before I went into my bedroom. The apartment was very nice for downtown LA, so we had two bedrooms. I got in the shower to cool off, and just before going to sleep, I got a text.

703-927-6102
Hey, is this Jonah Marais?

I decided to check the area code.

Area code 703: Fairfax, Virginia

I took a deep breath in, and replied.

It's a fake phone number ignore it.
Okay so I'm sorry if the facts are wrong and i know that the youngest baseball player was 15 in like 1944 or something but IgNoRe It. Also, I'm trying to keep all of the boys' actual characteristics and stuff the same so yeah. One more chapter tonight :) love ya💖