Chapter 19: Flashback

October 28, 2018

Last game of the World Series. We've won a single game and lost three to the Boston Red Sox. We need to catch up. Right. Now.

I had to substitute in and bat, even though I normally wouldn't. I hit the ball perfectly, home run. I ran to first base, and as I turned over the plate, whoever was on the base tripped me. Tripped me.

I flew through the air a foot or two, and landed, skidding between first and second base. I didn't have any time to think because Coach yelled, "Get yo ass up!"

So I stood up and proceeded to run to second base. The pain in my right leg was unbearable. I landed funny on it. Ouch, that hurt. I made it halfway to third base before I couldn't do it anymore. My sprint turned into a fast walk.

I could hear the Red Sox cheering behind me, signaling that the ball was heading to home plate. So I picked up the pace as best as I could muster. Still only a light jog. Whatever.

I was two feet away from home plate when I saw the ball fly through the air in slow motion. Oh no. I slid that last foot, covering me and the catcher in dust. The entire stadium was silent. As the thick dust cleared, the Red Sox catcher opened his mitt to reveal the baseball.

God freaking damnit. That fucking guy at first base. I lied there on home plate. I couldn't move because my leg hurt but even if it didn't, I probably still wouldn't move. Shame. That's what I felt. I lost. We lost. The Dodgers lost.

This huge opportunity. Wasted. Useless. Absolutely nothing can compare to that feeling of losing something that means the world to you.

i have no explanation except for the score and date and team is REAL. true story from last year. except for the epic fall. that's my imagination. love ya💖