27

december 31st, 2013

21°

ℒℯ𝒶

"We're going to try this again," the man in the white lab coat says, staring at her with his cruel blue eyes. "What were you doing with Steve Rogers?"

It's the next day, and Lea already feels different. The previous day saw her being drowned with cold water from a hose, then being stuffed into her cell and left to freeze all night. The following night, she slept very little. Today so far she has been rudely awakened, slapped across the cheek for not moving fast enough, and dragged back to the metal chair from yesterday.

Her clothes are somehow still damp, and her cheek is still stinging a bit. But despite her misery, she is determined to stay true to her goal.

"I wasn't with him. Don't even know him," she replies, ignoring the fact that each word she speaks could easily cause her death.

The man is fed up with her, but tries to conceal his anger. "Like I said, we know you were with him. We have video feed. You're not fooling anyone. Either tell us the truth, or we'll be forced to take more drastic measures."

Lea shakes her head. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

The man gives her a long hard look before turning and picking something up. When he swivels back around, there is a knife in his hand.

A sharp pain, caused by fear, goes through her heart. She desperately thinks of something she can say to distract him.

"What do you even want with me?" She asks, forcing him to pause. "I'm just a girl from New Hampshire. I've never done anything with my life, let alone done something to cause trouble within an organization like this."

The man narrows his eyes. "Don't feed me more bullshit."

Lea frowns, genuinely wondering whether or not Hydra even knows her background. She's sure someone has looked into her, but the man before her now may not even know her history. He probably knows nothing about why she's even here, and is just in charge of her torture. "I'm not lying. I haven't done anything. You're wasting your time."

For a split second, the genuine tone of her voice makes him pause to consider what she is saying. She can tell he is thinking about her words. But it's not enough, because the moment quickly ends as he brings the knife up to her arm. She jerks, but her arm is chained down, and there is nowhere for her to go.

"Tell me, Lea," the man says, getting way too close to her face for her comfort. His voice drops low, and she is more terrified of him like this than she was of him yesterday, when he screamed and yelled and dragged her across the room before torturing her. Somehow this man is scarier when he is quiet. "If you don't know Steve Rogers, then why is he currently looking for you?"

Lea almost frowns before catching herself and quickly hiding her confusion from her face. She's sure Steve is probably concerned - he's a caring guy like that - but looking for her? There's no way. Surely Steve is actually looking for Bucky, and Hydra just doesn't know the difference.

"Why would he be looking for me?" She reluctantly retorts, staring at the knife blade that is inches from her skin as she speaks the words that will cause her pain.

The man leans impossibly closer. "I don't know, you tell me. But you realize if he comes here, we'll kill him, right?"

Lea frowns this time and locks eyes with him. "Why would you tell me that? What are you trying to say?"