Chapter 9

"What do you think you're doing?" The familiar hoarse voice of Yoonbums' grandmother interrupted him. He looked back at her, as if he were a deer in headlights. But he didn't answer her, he never conversed with her. After your proposal the day before, Bum was elated to accept the invitation. How could he possibly reject the possibility of spending more time with you? His initial plan of action was to wake up early in the morning, quickly pack what little he had into a bag, steal some money from his uncle or grandma and leave to your meeting spot. But he hadn't taken into account what a light sleeper the elderly woman was.

"Are you planning on going somewhere?" She whispered harshly so as not not awaken his uncle, looking down at his duffle bag. Bum nodded slowly, awaiting a reaction. She seemed to contemplate something for a moment, before glancing at her sleeping sons' room and scurrying to her small cabinet of belongings. Bum stayed still, watching her rummage through her stuff. She seemed to have found what she was looking for, coming back towards Bum. She held out her wrinkled hand towards him, holding money. Bum looked at her, confusion painted all over his expression. Was she offering him cash?

"Do you want it, or not?" Her raspy voice snapped him back to reality. He carefully took the money from her grasp, stuffing it in the pocket of his worn out jacket. He swung the strap of his bag over his shoulder, quietly walking towards the front door; his grandma watching him. With care, he slowly opened it, about to step out; but suddenly decided to show his gratitude.
He turned around, and looked his grandmother in the eye. "Thank you..." He mumbled out, surprising her. She smiled as she spoke "I hope you know you're really gonna get it when you get back" she warned. He nodded and smiled, stepping out and closing the door behind him. He began to walk down the apartment stairs, his hands trailing along the rusty railing.

'I'll take the punishment'