Chapter Eight

"How did you know?" Simon asked, completely dumbfounded. I knew that they were both trying to hide it and that they hid it for so long.

"I'm not an idiot. Do you really think that as soon as I was put to bed that I was sound asleep and that the walls are soundproof? After a while things start to piece together," I struggled to get out. My teeth were still clenched from the pain and I was struggling to breathe. Sweat was dripping from my body.

"Someone go get a nurse, she doesn't look so good," Josh ordered as he brushed some hair from my face. JJ left the room and returned moments later with a nurse.

The nurse came over to my side and pushed back the fabric covering my wound. Blood was covering the area and soaking through the fabric. She acted quick in grabbing some disinfecting supplies and cleaning the area. She then placed gauze and secured it with tape.

"She ripped her stitches. From what we can hear outside of the room, things are getting a bit too exciting for her. We are going to have to go to only two people in the room with her at a time to ensure that this doesn't happen again," the nurse said as she produced a syringe and emptied the liquid into my IV. "She is going to start getting loopy in a bit because of the strong pain medications," the nurse concluded and then left.

"I really hate to leave, but I have to get back home. I'm already going to get it for leaving out of the blue," Josh spoke sadly. He ran his fingers through my hair before leaning down and leaving a kiss on my lips lightly.

"Love you," I said softly as he pulled back. My hand was lightly caressing his as it rests on my cheek.

"Love you, too. I'll come back later tonight or first thing tomorrow if I can't get away tonight," he responded and I nodded. He turned and said small byes as he worked his way through the boys and to the door, leaving. Not long after, Harry left, slamming the door behind him. I jumped at the sudden noise and then groaned in pain from the movement.

"I'm gonna go make sure he doesn't do anything stupid," Tobi said as he excused himself. Vikk and Ethan both followed, not wanting to be in the room in fear of Harry doing something stupid out of rage. Like getting arrested, it's happened before. Now it's just Simon and JJ left.

Simon sat down in one of the chairs by the bed. His head fell forward and into his hands. He rubbed at his face in frustration and stress. JJ's hand sat comfortingly on Simon's shoulder.

"If you ever do something that stupid again...," Simon started and faded out.

"I wasn't thinking, I'm sorry, but I would still do it again. A dog doesn't recover from a bullet, but a human will," I said quietly. A heavy silence fell around the room.

"I did love him and it's killing me knowing that I didn't protect you like I promised him I would," Simon confessed, breaking the silence. I looked over at him to see him wiping at his face. A pang of guilt ran through my body.

JJ moves closer to Simon and placed an arm over his shoulders. Simon let his head lean into the side of JJ's body, letting out a frustrated sigh.

My head starts to spin and I feel the color draining from my face. My body feels heavy along with my eyelids. My eyes dart around the room and have trouble focusing on anything. I feel my breathing increase as panic sets in.

"Calm down, Ajax. Just go to sleep," JJ soothes me as he notices my panic. I look over at the two blurry figures and squint my eyes to try and see them clearer. Simon's blurry hand comes towards my face and wipes a tear from my cheek that I hadn't realized was even there. He uses his hand on my cheek to guide my head back onto the pillow. His thumb brushes over my cheek and eventually soothes me into sleep.

I open my eyes to find a head of dark hair on my shoulder. A single finger is tracing shapes into the back of my hand that is resting on something soft. The dark hair is warm and fluffy as some of it is touching my cheek. I nuzzle my head in the softness to try and go back to sleep. The person with the hair pulls back and sits up so that they can see me. I stare back through heavy eyelids.

"The meds are still affecting you, aren't they?" The person who I can now make out as Josh asks. I furrow my brows in confusion. What does he mean meds?

"What meds?" I ask and give him a questioning look. Josh just chuckles and scoots his chair closer to the bed. That's when I realize that we aren't at home. We are in a hospital?

An itch in my arm makes me glance down and notice a tube in my arm. I hesitantly move my hand to the tube and poke at it. I then notice the needle penetrating my skin and start curiously moving the needle about in my arm by moving the tube. Josh's hand grabs mine and pulls it away from the strange piece of plastic.

"Don't mess with that," Josh chastises. I look over at his face and squint at him. He grins slightly. My hand raises to his face and brushes over his beard covered cheek. I feel the sudden urge to be in his arms and start to shift my body to the side. Josh immediately tenses.

"Hey, hey, hey. Don't be moving around like that. We don't want you ripping your stitches again," Josh says frantically as he places a hand on my cheek. I stare at him confused. Stitches?

I ignore that for now and whine slightly in frustration. Why can't I just cuddle with my Joshy? My fingers lightly scratch over his beard. A look of realization crosses his features as he moves even closer to the bedside.

"This is the best that I can do, baby," Josh says quietly as he moves an arm around my shoulders. I snuggle my head into his shoulder. This isn't the best nor what I wanted, but I guess I can deal with it. Josh's other hand comes up and runs through my hair comfortingly.