Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto, obviously...

Warnings: There's language, graphic violence (more in later chapters) and mature scenes (far off into the future may I add)...

Summary: War changed him, silenced him. Then he came back to the past. He gave himself a new name, and is set to try and get a new life in Konoha. And yet, it hurt more than he could take.

Aka, Naruto goes back in time- plus, the pairing is Kakashi x Future!Naruto. Please don't immediately launch hate just because of the pairing, especially without reading it. If you don't like the pairing then click out of the tab and find a different story, which would save you much more time than bitching.

Onwards with the story!

The shadows hummed. They chanted a song amidst the breathing forest and swirling waters. The buzz of the humming slipped through the musty air and swayed in the branches and leaves. The darkness was hidden yet seen. It was nowhere and everywhere at once. It suffocated the world with its terrifying whispers, manipulating all life it crossed. Happy thoughts were swept away, new, much darker ones closing in. It changed destiny and fate, changed very beings from emotions to actions and struck through the heart. It penetrated what was said to be unbreakable, unbeatable.

The horrifying touch of shadows breached the world, closing in around one person, one being that lived in darkness. He embraced its cool tendrils and grasped its freezing fingers in his own. He stayed in the deep, unforgiving hums, forever looking for light.

But there was none. In the night there was no sun. In the sky there was no moon, no stars to show the way, to guide him home and out from the blackened deep. He stayed down, drifting through nothing, just a blank, empty shell. There was nothing to fill that shell.

He hummed along with the shadows, long crimson hair curling around. He seemed to float, feet making no sound upon the soft ground, movements barely distinguishable from each other, every step marked by another with an otherworldly presence.

The landscape was unmarred by any volume except for those soft hums that resonated with the breeze. The stranger remained blank, no emotion shining on his face. He merely went on without purpose, simply living for the sake of living. Death haunted him a step behind, unhindered by the stranger, only welcoming its ominous presence.

As he travelled, the world made way.

A scarf wrapped around his head, obscuring the lower half of his face. His deep violet eyes glinted in the dark. Even though they could not see life as brightly as they used to, were merely dead, those startling violet eyes cast a gaze at every surrounding.

The traveller moved with the breeze, dead eyes set upon one destination...

...

Shinku, an S-Ranked mercenary to the people.

To himself, Hisato.

His former life as Namikaze-Uzumaki Naruto, the blond-haired, blue-eyed, whiskered, Number One Unpredictable Shinobi of Konoha was no more, and had been for a gruelling three months. Out of all the names he had to choose, it were the ironic ones. Uzumaki, he had kept, because his waist-length red hair was unmistakable. His eyes had changed to a deep, glassy violet hue, and pupils forever slit like that of a fox. His canines were elongated, but not overly so. For a 24 year-old, he looked fairly young for his age, and was also shorter than the average man.

He had chosen his new name with resigned vigour. Kioshi meant silent, and he had very much become mute. The last he had spoken were many a year ago, and he had forgotten his own voice. It didn't trouble him as much as he thought it would, being one to express himself through words. War did that to people. His name, Hisato meant long lived, or long life, befitting of some who was so hard to kill.