Chapter 4

Thanks for the votes! From chapter 5 onward, the story will deviate from the original!

Hisato didn't even quiver when the scythe impaled his torso. He didn't recoil when he heaved up blood. He barely perceived the ache residing through his entire being.

Hidan retracted, grinning yet slightly disappointed. "You're no stranger to pain," he said with appreciation. Kakashi was watching in a trance. And his eyes... mortified. Hisato hated himself for letting his friend worry. Above all, he loathed Hidan because it was his scythe that caused the reaction.

Hidan was fascinated, engrossed with staring at the wound he inflicted. Hisato did too, glimpsing the smoke rising from the hole. It closed up gradually, leaving only blood in its place.

Hisato spun his face up, gaze freezing Hidan. The other actually startled, and something akin to fright leaked out. Violet became icy and sharp, narrowed like a predator and dangerous.

He gave in to his reflex and instinct. He had something precious to protect. That drive made way for Shinku. The warrior, assassin, ninja, murderer. His killer intent extruded from him and drowned the enemy in an ocean of bloodlust and rage.

Hisato disappeared, not even a flash or after-image left behind. He curled around behind Hidan, slicing out with his chakra blade, severing the head. Hidan didn't laugh for he was too terrified. He was also far from death.

Hisato dismembered him, arms flying far from reach. The Akatsuki member fell apart, sprawling on the ground in pieces. He drew the wind around him, and it blew the limbs together. With his foot, he carved runes into the ground, complex arrays overlapping one another.

He slammed his palms against the massive seal and red rays of light emerged. A great shadow sprouted behind him, forming out of nothing. It towered over him, the silhouette of the Kyuubi no Kitsune. Fuuin! he shouted in his mind. The fox tore forth, pouncing upon Hidan's stationary form. The man let out one final scream as he disappeared, swallowed by the giant maw of the demon.

The light dispersed. Hisato stood, glancing at Kakashi. His friend was shocked. He marched over. And didn't go far.

He was thrown through the air and sent twisting and tumbling, slamming against the ground. He slid across the dirt, dust making it hard to breathe. When the world stopped wheeling, Hisato squinted at the newcomer.

He finally came. Hisato smirked at Kakuzu, unruffled and looking distinctly annoyed.

"I didn't expect you to defeat my partner," he said nonchalantly.

Kakashi was crouching, ready to spring into the fight. "You're not far behind," he stated.

With Kakuzu's attention turned from him, Hisato took advantage. [Five hearts.] He kept the message short and simple. Kakashi's eyes had flicked over to him briefly. He got the message.

Kakashi initiated a fireball, forcing the man away. Hisato flashed next to his comrade, and signed some more, keeping an eye on Kakuzu. [I'll get behind him. Two fatal hits, and then regroup.] Kakashi nodded. They moved together. Kakashi charged the man head on. Hisato flashed behind and sprinted from there. He needed to catch Kakuzu off-guard, whilst he was still getting his bearing.

He dearly hoped Kakuzu couldn't dodge.

The chirp of a thousand birds filled the air. Hisato formed a ball of violet chakra in his hand. Rasengan!

"Chidori!"

The attacks met their mark. Kakuzu growled in anger, pressing into action. Hisato escaped the attacks, and the Konoha jounin leapt away. They ran out of range, all senses alert for any jutsu coming their way. Hisato jumped and twisted, a blade of wind flung from his hand at the oncoming earth spear. It sliced the jutsu in half. Hisato landed again. Three hearts to go. Kakuzu must have recognised the danger, as he morphed into his long-range form.