Chapter 5

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto

A/N: Whilst I didn't have much of the story planned, most of the stuff in this chapter is what I had in mind from before I even began to write.

Hisato had to admit. He was embarrassed. Breaking down in front of Kakashi, friend or not, was really, really embarrassing.

They had stayed in that position for almost an hour, the sun finally setting. Emotionally exhausted and weary, Hisato had stood first, pulling Kakashi up with him.

Even a novice could notice the concern Kakashi had written all over him. Hisato wanted to hide himself away, self-conscious from the way Kakashi's gaze penetrated him. Every corner was uncovered by his friend. From one look alone, Kakashi knew everything that was wrong. It made him happy, knowing that there was someone that could read him so thoroughly.

When Hisato tried to move away, stepping back, Kakashi took his wrist, firm but insistent. He gave up on trying to escape the hold, instead following the other into his bedroom.

The bed was unused and clean, its heavy and warm covers only there for decoration and keeping up appearances. Nevertheless, it sufficed in the cold air of the apartment. Kakashi dropped in and held up the covers for Hisato. Knowing the futility of refusing, he complied.

He was swathed in a familiar circle of arms. His back was pressed against a strong chest, held tightly and lovingly. He covered the limbs with his own. His legs fit against Kakashi's and he felt a chin atop his head.

Encased with the comfort and love of Kakashi, he could finally close his eyes and sleep.

.....................................

Hisato found his courage six days later. He was still sore and sick, shouldn't be moving around if he could help it. But he had a mission to keep and he sure as hell wasn't going to abandon it.

They entered the Jounin Lounge once more, Hisato sticking close to Kakashi's side. There were many more people than the last time he was here. It proved to be more of a challenge, seeing so many faces at once, but discreetly clinging to Kakashi's side helped.

The silver-haired jounin led him to an empty couch. When jounins came up to them, asking questions and greeting Kakashi, Hisato would find something to look at, mostly the floor. The shinobi respected his unspoken needs, keeping conversations brief and running off again.

Conversations aside, it was hard to escape direct contact.

When Shikaku sat beside him on the couch, Hisato stood his ground, pushing down the anxiety and pulling on a strong face. He nodded to the Commander in greeting. Shikaku did the same, then extracted a shogi board from an unknown region.

Hisato hid his disdain and prepared himself. Any excuse he came up with not to play would be neatly ignored or countered. There was no way out of the game.

As expected of the head Nara, Shikaku uncovered Hisato's silence. Some could mistake it for being shy and socially awkward, but Shikaku understood that he physically could not speak.

They played their game in silence, no one disturbing them. Kakashi, at one point, peaked over Hisato's shoulder, watching them play for a few minutes.

Hisato recognised the hidden intentions of the Nara. Find out more about the new jounin through gameplay; at the same time observe everything the new jounin did. It was the job of the Commander after all, to know the strengths of his soldiers, their limits and weaknesses too.

Sometimes, though rarely, Shikaku would murmur easy questions. Hisato would respond with quick hand signs, focusing more on the shogi at hand. They were ordinary inquiries. Elemental affinity; best field; best range at fighting.