Chapter 3

I woke early. Rays of sun streaming onto my face. I looked over to the maze entrance closest to the hammocks. The runners stood there. How I wished I could see what was out there too. I dragged myself out of bed and to the small shower room.

I glanced into the mirror suddenly noticing my knotted messy hair. The bags under my eyes more visible than ever. I brushed my (Y/C/H) hair and lightly Dutch braided it (or just brushed it if your hair is to short). I walked back out to the hammock area. Everyone else was starting to get up and eat breakfast.

I made my way towards the kitchen.

"Morning Frypan" I yawned.

"Hey, (Y/N), don't call me that! Call me Fry." Frypan reached out a hand and I shook it.

"Let me help" I offered.

"But it's not your job. Alby will kill me... Us... if he finds out" Frypan sighed.

"Then it'll be all my fault, no backchat, don't try and stop me, I'm going to help you." Frypan raised his arm to his head like a soldier saluting his captain before we both cracked up. "So what are you making?"

"Bacon and eggs, I'm getting so sick of it though, we have it every day."

"Why don't you make French toast then?" I offered.

I went to the pantry and grabbed out a loaf of bread along with eggs..

"Here let me show you."

After Frypan and I finished making French toast for every Glader in the Glade. I hung my apron up on the wall of the kitchen.

"See ya Fry," I smiled.

"Thanks so much for your help (Y/N), thinking of helping tomorrow too? The boys would love it, they're practically begging for more."

"Yeah" I winked and walked out. I felt like I was starting to settle in.

Later in the afternoon, I was in the gardens with the rest of the Track Hoes including Newt. It was my first job tryout if I wasn't including Cooking with Frypan this morning. I couldn't concentrate though. I was practically staring at Newt while he chopped away at a tree stump with Zart. Shuck. Why did he have to be so hot? He took off his T-shirt and kept chopping. That's when I made a mental note to myself. I could never be a Track Hoe if Newt was there.

I snapped out of my daydream when someone tapped my shoulder. Minho.

"Hey, Miss I like staring at Newt shirtless." He laughed, I blushed.

"Shut up Minho, someone might hear you!" I lightly punched him in the shoulder.

"Fine, fine," he raised his hands in surrender. "I've got the rest of the day off today, wanna hang with me?"

"Yeah, ok. I better ask Zart first."

"Nah, leave that to me" Minho smirked.

We both walked over to Zart and Newt.

"Hey Newt, Zart" Minho said.

"Ok, Minho," Newt sighed, "what do you want?"

"Just came to make sure its ok with Zart if I take (Y/N) for a little bit so I can walk her through the job of a Runner," He said showing the muscles in his tanned arms.

"Yeah, ok" Zart shrugged before returning to the tree stump.

"Have fun," Newt smiled.

Minho led the way to the kitchen before stopping,

"I'm gonna get some food for us, meet me at the start of Deadheads?"

"Ok," I smiled, "see ya."

About ten minutes later Minho appeared with some cookies in hand. We sat on the grass.

"Nice going with Zart by the way. How did you convince Frypan to give you that?" I gestured towards the cookies.

"He said he wouldn't give it to me until I told him it was for you then he agreed." Minho shrugged. "Any idea why?"

"Yeah, I helped him make French Toast in the kitchen today and were friends now" I smiled

"Good, your not lonely" Minho teased.

"Shuck up Minho, you're just jealous cause you don't have any!"

"Well, tomorrow you have to make me breakfast too," Minho said as I nodded. "So yesterday, I asked you if you fancied anyone in the maze..."

"Yeah..." I had a weird feeling about this.

"Yeah, well, Newt yeah?"

"Promise you won't tell?" I begged.

"You got my word," Minho said, "but if you keep googly eyeing Newt like that in front of everybody someone's gonna find out."

"Yeah, I know, but I can't help myself."

We both laughed.

"You should tell him" Minho shrugged, "He's always lookin' at you too."

"Really!?" I said my mood suddenly lighting up, "nah he's just lookin' out for me"

"Yeah, that hug that you gave him as soon as you came straight out of the Box was pretty cute" he winked.

"Urgh, I so regret that. I just don't know what came over me" I sighed.

"Hey guys" Newt smiled. Shucking hell his smile!

"Hey" Minho replied, obviously noticing my hesitation.

"Minho, you done with (Y/N)?"

"Yeah, she's all your's," he got up, "catch ya later he waved before walking off." Thanks, Minho.

"How was the Runner talk?" Newt said.

"Yeah, good" I shrugged, "So why did you want to talk to me?"

"Gally and the rest of the Builders have finished some rooms and he said you get first pick."

"Oh cool" I smiled. I got up from the grass and struggled to stand. I started to fall backwards when Newt caught me. I blushed. "Thanks."

"No problem." Newt smiled, "c'mon let's get you a private room away from all us stinky boys."

I smiled.

We made it to the new rooms that were set out on top of each other like an apartment. Gally walked up to us.

"Hey, Greenie, like the new rooms?" Gally grinned.

"Yeah. You guys are amazing!" I chirped.

"C'mon you and Newt can see which rooms you want" Gally led us to the inside of the building showing us the first and the second floor.

"So, which rooms do you guys want?" Gally asked.

"Well the second-floor rooms have a better view, so if it's ok can I get one of the second-floor ones?" I asked.

"Sure Greenie, have the one closest to the right is has a bathroom" Gally stated.

"Thanks" I smiled.

"I'll get the same" Newt said.

"Okay, you can have the one next to (Y/N)'s" Gally offered.

"Thanks"

"Well, you guys can settle in if you want. I have to get back to work" Gally said. "Have fun, oh and you can invite some others to choose rooms too."

"Thank you so much, Gally." I smiled

"No worries, anything for our little girly Greenie" Gally laughed. I hugged him in thanks before he walked down the stairs away for sight.

"I'm gonna go and check out my new room" I smiled.

"Ok, I'll see you soon then?" Newt shrugged

"I'll meet you in front of the building in 10?" I asked.

"Cool, see ya." Newt waved before walking into his new room.