Chapter 18

Herc Person POV 

It's seventh-period. P.E. And Laf hasn't talked to me yet.

Everyone is either walking around the gym or playing basketball, soccer or volleyball in the center of the gym. And I'd say there's about... a hundred of us in here? Yeah, crowded I know. But somehow everyone makes it work by staying in lanes.

Lafayette and I always walk together and talk during P.E. We always talk since we're the only people we know here, and also cause ya know- we're dating. It can be very dangerous sometimes, with balls flying all across the gym in every direction; I always stand on the left side so he won't get hit by one of them. Though, I have taken a soccer ball or two to the face for him.

Oh well. I'd do it over a million times if it meant keeping him safe.

and where is Lafayette, you may ask?

Well, actually he hasn't shown up yet. 

See how our P.E class works is we have twenty-five minutes in the middle of the period for whatever exercise we choose. Before that, it's about 5-7 of waiting for everyone to come and to get attendance in. During that time we sit and wait on the bleachers (except for taking attendance; you have to stand with your designated coach). After the twenty-five-minute alarm goes off, we go back and chill on the bleachers. Usually, I reserve the very top right corner for us closest to the door so have this little corner to ourselves where we can secretly hold hands and no one would notice. I currently sat in that corner, and my bag; as well as Lafayette's bag;  resides where he usually sits so no one would take it. 

My hoodie is up and my headphones are in- my Spotify P.E playlist on shuffle because I can't afford premium. I lean against the brick wall of the bleaches that connects to the wall (creating a comfy little pocket to rest in) before Lafayette enters my field of vision. We immediately make eye contact, before he quickly looks away pouting angrily. I roll my eyes. He's such a child.  He walks off to find another place to sit and I scoff and look back at my phone. Whatever. If he wants to play that game, then he'll play that game. Not my problem.

But a moment later he came awkwardly trotting back to our side of the bleachers and climb up to the top. I watch him with a bored expression but raised brows as he scooted the bags next to our feet, and plopped down next me with his arms and legs crossed with cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "There w-weren't any other available spots..." He mumbled. I simply hum in response and go back to my phone.

Soon the coaches called everyone to go to their specific coaches for attendance. I get up and go to my coach, Coach Mason, and he goes to his coach, Coach Franklin. I stood in line and wait for my name to be called. 

"Hercules?"

"Here!"

I head back to the bleachers and plop back on my spot, pressing play on my music. After a minute, Laf came back and sat next to me as far away as possible, making me audibly scoff and roll my eyes. He's really starting to get on my nerves.

Soon the big alarm on the big timer (ya know the one they use in basketball) went off and twenty-five minutes started ticking. "Let's go, get up!" Coach Sinatra hollered, making all the teenagers still sitting groan and get up to go walk or play ball. I hop down the wooden bleachers one level at a time before plopping firmly on the gym floor. Laf does the same but quickly walks off ahead of me, making me growl lowly. I could run after him and confront him, but that would cause a scene. I could just walk next to him but that would be kinda awkward. So I just let him have his tantrum and wait until he cools off. I sigh and start walking.

Throughout the whole twenty-five minutes, it was just me and my music and Lafayette occasionally storming past me. Like seriously, what's his issue? I don't even understand why he's upset! He's honestly acting like a child and, as much as I love him, he's really pissing me off.

Soon the alarm went off and the twenty-five minutes were over. All the teens who were walking flocked back to the bleachers, while the others continued playing whatever sport it was they were playing. I sit in my little corner hoodie still up, music still blasting, before he trots back up the bleachers and sits near me. We sit there for about ten or eleven minutes, him doing his homework and me listening to music and resting. And eventually, the bell rang.

Everyone hopped up and ran out, including Lafayette.... leaving his bag again. I groan and throw my bag over my shoulder and his bag in hand before running after him.

"Lafayette!" I call after to him and he starts walking faster. I growl to myself and sprint towards him and grab his wrist. 

"HEY!" 

He whipped his head around, his eyes widened flinching softly. I never shout at him like this- and not gonna lie, I feel REALLY bad. But he has to get it through his head...

"You forgot your bag again." I sternly say to him. He glared at me and I glared back. He snatched his bag from my hand. "Whatever," he mumbled.

"Keep talking why don't you." I mock.

SMACK!

A hard smack hit across my face. A hard smack from Lafayette.

My eyes widened as a searing pain and shock hit me like a wave. His eyes stare back at me with so much rage, but he also looks... hurt?

"Espèce de grosse merde.." (You piece of fucking shit..) He sneers before storming off.

I stood there and watched him storm to his last period Calculus, regret searing through my bones. W-Why am I like this? I know I can have a bit of a temper sometimes, b-but that doesn't justify what I did. A tear slips from my eye as the warning bell rang.

God, I'm an idiot.

....I think I'm gonna skip Physics...

~

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!! It's 10:09 pm (exactly) when I publish this, and I just want to thank you all for an amazing year! Your support mean so so much to me! Here's to 2019 <3

--Ronnie