Part 2: Not So Different

Romeo could now see Lukas and Jesse peering under the table, and realized Jesse was the one who was lifting up the tablecloth. The petite leader of the New Order of the Stone had medium length dark brown hair that she wore down and green eyes. She was wearing a light blue dress with white polka dots. The dress was sleeveless, went down to her knees, and gave her legs plenty of room. She also wore light brown flats and a white hairclip. Lukas had blue eyes and blonde hair. He wore something much more casual: an unzipped leather jacket, a white t-shirt, blue jeans, and black shoes. When they saw Romeo under the table, Jesse let out a clear and warm laugh. "Romeo?! What the heck are you doing down there?" Jesse exclaimed.

"Um... nothing..." Romeo answered.

"There's gotta be some reason for doing something like hiding under a table," Jesse quipped.

"I don't want anyone to ask me to slow dance. I don't even want to be at this party because I'm terrible at talking to people, so I decided I'd just stay here and read the rest of the party," Romeo sighed. Lukas noticed that his book was on the floor next to Romeo.

"Is that my book?" Lukas asked. Romeo turned his head to Lukas and nodded. "Is it good? Did I clearly define everyones' personalities? Are there any misspelled words or incorrect grammar? I added enough detail, right? Maybe I should show Jesse's thoughts a bit more- It's good, right?" Lukas rambled. Jesse touched her hand to his shoulder and he blushed.

"Aw, relax Lukas. I read it and it's great," Jesse assured.

"Yeah. It's amazingly detailed and flows really well. I can't put it down," Romeo agreed. Lukas' eyes lit up and he smiled.

"So glad both of you like it," Lukas said. Jesse turned her head to Romeo.

"Wait, so if you didn't want to come... why are you here?" Jesse questioned.

"Adara forced me to," Romeo answered. Jesse and Lukas laughed. "What's so funny?" Romeo asked.

"We're here for the same reason. I don't know if that's a coincidence, or if she purposely invited all three of us," Lukas explained.

Romeo hugged his own arm. His eyes watered as he tried to keep himself from crying. "I guess this isn't terrible. I mean, she said I could make some friends. And I don't have any, so..."

Jesse held out a hand to him. For a while Romeo stared at her hand... he couldn't believe she was doing this for him again. But soon Romeo took her hand and she helped him up.

"Of course you have friends, Romeo," Jesse assured. That's when Jesse hugged him. After a few seconds she let go.

"I don't know who'd be crazy enough to want to be my friend," Romeo sighed. He paused for a moment and slumped onto a bench "You're so lucky, Jesse. You know that? You're perfect, and everyone loves you," Romeo continued. Jesse sat next to him.

"I'm going to tell you a story, okay? A couple of days ago, a girl was approached by a guy. He said to her: 'Hey, can you please lend me some diamonds? My sword broke, and no one else would give me any. I know we haven't exactly gotten along, and I'm sorry. Just give me two diamonds. Please. That's all I want,'" Jesse narrated.

"And what did she say?" Romeo asked.

"'You're just trying to pretend you're sorry and get some free diamonds. Get your own if you care about it so much, jerk. It's not my problem.' And then she slammed the door in his face," Jesse answered. Romeo's eyes widened in shock.

"That girl sounds terrible. Who is she?" Romeo said. Jesse's expression became a knowing smile, making Romeo even more curious.

"You're looking right at her," Jesse answered.

"You? But... you're so nice, and- There's no way that was you," Romeo blurted out. Jesse seemed as if she was trying so hard not to laugh.

"No one's perfect, Romeo. Not even me. And there are some people out there that hate my guts... Aiden- who was the guy in the story, Hadrian, Mevia, and a couple of Beacontown citizens that still don't believe the Jesse doing horrible things wasn't me. And those are just the ones that I know about. My point is... no one can be perfect no matter how hard they try and there's always going to be some people who don't like you. What matters is being the best you can and trying to be kind to people," Jesse told him.

"Thank you again. I've learned so much from you. You've helped me so much, even though I don't deserve it," Romeo responded. Jesse smiled at him and touched her hand to his.

"It's what friends do. I promised Lukas I'd dance with him, but I'll be back soon," Jesse said with a wink. Jesse stood up and slipped her hand into Lukas'. "Just to warn you, I'm a terrible dancer," Jesse stated.

"It's still going to be amazing," Lukas assured. The two of them walked outside to the balcony, where they could be alone together... at least that's what they thought. Romeo couldn't help but secretly watch them from behind one of the balcony's pillars as they began to dance. Jesse tripped on her own feet and fell to the ground almost immediately.

"Okay, okay, I meant to do that," Jesse giggled. Lukas helped her up and he blushed.

"Yeah, you totally meant to do that," Lukas teased, his tone laced with sarcasm.

"Hey!" Jesse exclaimed in fake indignance. She grinned and shoved him playfully. Lukas shoved her back. "Maybe we should stop dancing. It won't take long for me to accidentally knock you over," Jesse told him. She paused for a moment and locked eyes with Lukas. "Lukas... running Beacontown's been even more difficult than usual lately, and I think the stress is beginning to show. Lashing out like that, even at Aiden, wasn't like me," Jesse said. Her eyes began to brim with tears. "What if it happens again? What if I lose my temper and yell at someone, but instead of Aiden... it's one of the citizens?" Jesse asked.

"Radar can take over for a month- or longer if you need it. You're always so busy helping others, and I think we all owe you a vacation. You need to relax, okay?" Lukas assured. Jesse responded with a nod. Lukas wrapped an arm around her. "It's okay. I've got you," Lukas told her. Romeo instantly felt a wave of sympathy- no, empathy- for Jesse. Not only had he run her town and felt as much stress as she had, he was also constantly worried he'd lose his temper. Romeo stepped out of his hiding place, not even caring that he'd get caught spying on Jesse and Lukas. He just wanted to comfort Jesse... especially because that's exactly what she'd do for him.

"Hey, um... Jesse?" Romeo greeted nervously. Jesse turned her head to him. Jesse's eyes were red and what was left of her tears shined on her face.

"What the- You followed us?!" Lukas exclaimed in shock and a bit of anger.

"I did. I couldn't help it... I didn't want to be alone," Romeo admitted. Lukas still looked a little annoyed that his privacy was violated, but nodded.

"Okay. Yeah. That's fine," Lukas replied with a hint of testiness in his voice.

"Jesse- Lukas is right. You deserve a break, after all you've done for everyone. And if you do lose your temper... people will forgive you. I can't see why they wouldn't, because you're the nicest person I've ever met," Romeo said. Jesse wiped away her tears.

"Thank you... both of you," Jesse managed. She then turned towards Lukas. "I know things got a bit crazy tonight, and..." Jesse began.

"I wasn't looking for the perfect evening, Jesse. I just wanted to spend time with you," Lukas replied, smiling at her warmly. Jesse smiled at him.

"Aw, Lukas, that's the sweetest..." Jesse gushed. Suddenly the sound of a door being opened with great force could be heard.

"WHERE'S JESSE?!" a threatening voice shouted.

"Oh crud," Jesse groaned. Jesse walked to the front doors of the building, with Romeo and Lukas following her.

The Blaze Rods- Maya, Aiden, and Gill- were standing at the front doors.