Chapter Nine: The Calling

After I was done crying, Daddy and I exited the case to the safe house

After I was done crying, Daddy and I exited the case to the safe house. We saw Jacob in the middle of the room with Tina, who was sitting in a chair reading in a book while Kama laid unconscious in the rather large looking chair. "Hi Tina!" I exclaimed happily.

Tina just smiled up at me. "Hello Emma."

Daddy cleared his throat and started talking to Tina awkwardly. "The Zouwu has responded well to the Dittany. She was born to run, you see. I think she's just lacking in confidence-"

Tina sighed before standing up, pocketing the book in her coat pocket. "Mr. Scamander, do you and Emma have anything in your case that might help this man? I need to question him. I think he knows who Credence is. The scars on his hang suggest an-"

"Unbreakable vow. Yeah, I noticed that too." Daddy said rather quickly.

I looked between them before looking back over at Kama. "Well, come on then. Let's investigate him."

Daddy smiled down at me before pulling out his wand. "Lumos." He whispered before his wand tip lit up rather brightly. He the leaned down and gently opened one of Kama's eyes before he and Tina both jumped.

"What? What is it?" I asked, not having seen what was inside his eye. I looked down, seeing a small trace of a tentacle inside the man's eye.

"There must be a water dragon in that sewer- they carry these parasites, you see." Daddy explained to Tina.

"Okay.. Umm.. Jacob!" I called to our muggle friend.

"Yeah?" Jacob asked as he came over to the four of us.

"In daddy's case, in the pocket, you'll find a pair of tweezers. Could you grab them for us, please?"

"Tweezers?"

"They're thin and pointy-" Daddy tried explaining.

"Thin, little pointy things." Tina also added.

"Yes, I know what tweezers are." Jacob grumbled before he walked to the case and eventually grabbed the tweezers, handing them to daddy.

"You girls may not want to watch this." Daddy warned.

"I can handle it." Tina commented.

"I've seen worse things, daddy. I can handle it too." I said bravely.

Daddy nodded before opening Kama's eyes again before catching the tentacle that was in Kama's eye. I felt myself trying so hard not to throw up. He then pulled out a spindly, waterborne spider

"There we go. Jacob, will you take that for me." Daddy asked as he handed the creature to Jacob.

Our muggle friend looked at the spindly water creature with disgust. "Ew! Calamari!"

"I don't think that that's calamari, Jacob." I commented, shallowing a bit of my vomit.

"I must kill him..." Kama muttered, looking rather sweaty and looked like he was trying to wake up.

"Who? Do you mean Credence?" I questioned before he fell right back to being unconscious.

"It may take him a few hours to recover. The parasite's poison is quite strong." Daddy explained.

Tina sighed angrily and grabbed her coat. "I'll have to go to the ministry with what I've got." She explained, "It was nice to see you again, Mr. Scamander. Goodbye, Emma."

"Wait, wait! Tina!" I yelled and tried to run after her with Jacob and daddy, who grabbed the case and our coats. But it was too late as the door shut behind her.

"You didn't mention salamanders, did you?" Jacob asked to daddy.

"No! She just.. Ran. I don't know.." Daddy said, running a hand through his hair rather upset.

"So you chase after her!" Jacob exclaimed firmly.

"Well, if you say so!" I shrugged, grabbed my coat, and ran after Tina onto the street again. "Tina, come back!"

"Emma!" Daddy called after me before we both caught up with Tina.

"Tina, please, just listen to me and daddy, we can-"

"Mr. Scamander, Emma, I need to go talk to the ministry and I know how you both feel about Aurors-" Tina tried to explain before daddy cut her off.

"I may have been a little strong in the way that I expressed myself in that letter-"

"What was the exact phrase? "A bunch of careerist hypocrites"?!"

Okay, that was true for some people, I had to agree. "I'm sorry, but I can't admire people whose answer to everything that they fear or misunderstand is "kill it"!"

"I'm an Auror and I don't-"

"Oh my god! The reason you're different is because you've gone middle head!" I yelled, the two of them stopping in their tracks to look at me.

"Excuse me?" Tina asked in confusion.

I sighed, calming down a little. "It's an expression derived from the three heads of the Runespoor. The middle one is the visionary. Every Auror in Europe wants Credence dead expect for you. You've gone middle head."

Daddy blinked and looked up at Tina softly. "S-she's got a point, you know."

Tina blinked and looked down at me, "And who else uses that expression, Emma?"

"I think just me and daddy, but you can use it too if you want." I replied, causing Tina to giggle a little.

But the happiness ended when we saw the large black banners that were wrapping themselves around the buildings, traveling slowly along the many building around us. Not many people could see it, but the people that stopped in their tracks. We walked into the middle of the road, watching the silk black banners surrounding the many buildings. I could even see the emblem of a white Raven appear on one of the windows.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"It's Grindelwald. He's calling his followers." Tina explained, "It's too late. Grindelwald's come for Credence. He might already have him."

"No! I refuse to believe that. We can probably still get to him! We just have to find him." I said hopefully.

Daddy suddenly grabbed a hold of mine and Tina's hand and began to pull us along down the street as the black banners along the buildings started to disappear. "Where are we going?" Tina asked.

"The French Ministry of Magic." Daddy replied.

"But daddy, that's the last place that Credence would go!" I interjected.

"There's a box hidden at the Ministry safe, my dear. It's a box that can tell us who Credence is."

"A box? What are you talking about?" Tina asked in wild confusion.

"Trust me." Was all daddy said with a rather hopeful but serious look on his face before he continued to lead us along the sidewalk.

I held onto daddy's hand as we quickly walked. I always trusted daddy, whether it was a matter of life or death. And if this box could tell us where Credence was or who is then, then I had to have hope that it was safe in the French ministry. I also hoped that we wouldn't get caught in too much trouble.