Chapter One: The Boardwalk

“I fuckin’ hate the ocean.”

Louis widened his eyes, shocked. “Mitch! Keep your voice down!” He hurried, causing the rest of the group to give him worried looks until he continued. “You might get cursed; imagine if you had to be a fish.”

Violet rolled her eyes. Everytime one of them said something, Louis always brought up curses. Sure, people said that they existed, but she had never seen one herself.

“That shit doesn't exist,” Mitch scolded, tucking his hands into his sweatshirt despite the rather warm weather. “Besides, I'd be a shark. Like, a megalodon.”

“Actually, megalodons don't exist anym-”

“What makes you say curses don't exist?” Louis questioned, completely ignoring the fact that Aasim had been talking.

Mitch shrugged. “They don't.”

“That's not a good enough answer!”

“It's because he hasn't seen one,” Violet interjected, one hand in Clementine's and the other in her sweatshirt pocket as they walked.

“They exist, I can assure you,” Aasim sighed, Ruby squeezing his hand and offering him a small smile the rest of the group failed to notice.

“Like, remember the one time, that kid in fifth grade said he wished Tommy's DS would break, and then he got one a week later and two days after it broke?”

“Coincidence,” Violet cringed. Justin hadn't been the smartest bulb in the box.

“Okay, what about the time when I fell down the stairs, and broke my leg? I had just told Louis to break a leg at the musical.”

Violet shook her head, squinting. “Brody, Marlon pushed you.”

“On accident!” The blonde boy defended, frowning. “I didn't mean to.”

“You left out the part where you also got a concussion,” Omar reminded her, getting a wave of the hand.

“Okay, what about the time when-”

“-Open your minds, and think with the soul, I'll tell you your fortune be diamond or coal,”

Violet furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, the entire group turning to the left side of the near empty boardwalk. There sat a woman, covered in a fabric she couldn't quite place, with long bony fingers and a ball of glass. She looked at them with a certain sparkle in her eyes, causing Violet to take a weary step back.

“Uh...No thank you! We're okay. You have a nice night though!” Clementine politely declined, gripping Violet's hand a little harder and not so noticeably walking faster than they were before.

“Cree-py,” Mitch cringed, earning a hum of agreement from most of the group.

“Fucking weird…” Violet sighed, earning her a look from her girlfriend. “What? I just wanted to spend a nice night with you and them, and now she's totally given it a weird vibe. I hope she doesn't have a nice night.”

“Vi,” Clementine warned, tugging on her arm softly. The rest of the group began a conversation, Violet hearing something about Ralph Whittaker from elementary before they walked off and got too out of range. “You're being extra sassy tonight. What's wrong?”

Violet rolled her eyes, tugging her hand away to join it with her other in the sweatshirt pouch. “Nothing, Clem, really,”

“Don't do that,” Clementine shook her head. “You can tell me anything, Violet. I promise.” Violet remained silent, a small frown covering her features as she stared at the wood under her boots. Clementine analyzed her for a moment, her posture slouching as she frowned. “You're still thinking about what I said the other night, aren't you…”