Chapter Seven: A Little Sun

“Open up!”

Mitch watched as Brody made small airplane noises, spoon in hand with a small scoop of ice cream inside.

“See? Isn’t it yummy?”

Clementine giggled, smacking her hands against the highchair. “I’c’eam!”

“Look! Here it comes again!”

“What are we going to do about Clem…?” Marlon trailed off, leaning over towards Ruby, Louis and Mitch, being sure to whisper so Brody or Clementine couldn’t hear them.

“Is Vi sure they checked the whole boardwalk…?” Ruby questioned, anxiety covering her features.

“Up and down. Splinter by splinter,” Marlon sighed. “No sign of her. Aasim did say he was going to look into it more? He said if you can’t get the curse to be reversed by whoever set it, in time it’ll reverse itself.”

“Does Violet know that?”

“I don’t think she cares,”

Mitch shook his head, interrupting the two. “Then we’re fucking stuck with her until it breaks.” Brody glanced over, frowning, bowl of ice cream and spoon in her hands. Mitch stood from the couch, sighing and walking over to the kitchen counter.

Louis cautiously tilted his head. He really didn’t want him to blow up on them. “Mitch-”

“-I’m gonna go to the store. Get some baby food. We have some, but...She’s gonna need a carseat. More clothes.” That definitely wasn’t what Louis had been expecting.

“I’ll go with ya’...” Ruby agreed, standing from the couch. Brody glanced behind her at the group, setting the spoon in the bowl and putting it down.

“Make sure you get the apple sauce? She’ll eat that up. Apples too. I don’t think bringing any back is going to be on Vi’s top list of priorities…”

Mitch nodded, swiping his keys off the counter and leaving for the door. “Will do-” His hand barely gripped the handle before the door was thrown open, Violet slumping into the house, not looking up from the floor or paying any of them any attention as she escaped to her room.

“Violet,” Louis tried, only to be silenced by the sound of a slamming door.

“...good luck with that,” Mitch cringed, stepping out the door with Ruby in tow after Omar, Tenn, and Aasim entered.

“...is it that bad?” Marlon questioned, getting a look from Aasim.

“Tenn, can you watch her…? I’m gonna go see if I can talk to her…” Brody pleaded, handing the boy the bowl and walking off into the hallway.

“I ‘un Vi…” Clementine frowned, lip pouting out.

“I know, Clem…” Tenn assured. “Do you want this ice cream…?”

“I ‘un Vi.” She whimpered, Tenn raising a finger.

“Let me go get something. I have something for you, ok?”

Clementine whimpered as the boy walked off, watching him take her ice cream bowl as well. Another whimper fell past her lips, Marlon running his hand through his hair and sinking into the couch. “Shit.”

“What do you think of these Clem?” Tenn asked, walking back into the room with a sketchpad, another book of sorts, and a bag full of several kinds of pencils.

Clementine eyed the black and white paper, looking back up to Tenn. “Vi?”

Tenn grinned. “I drew her. See?”