Chapter Four: Explanation

“Let me get this straight,”

Louis snorted. “It’s Clementine we’re talking about-” “-Louis, shut up,” “-okay.”

“Last night, you argued about kids?” Omar questioned, earning a grimace.

“I wouldn’t call it much of an argument. Just Clem telling me if I was uncomfortable with it, we didn’t need to adopt any…” She frowned, glancing over to the toddler who was playing with one of the toys Louis had gotten her, Brody and Tenn keeping an eye on her.

“When did you argue about it…?”

Violet furrowed her eyebrows. “Right after that weird chick ruined the night. Why?”

Omar sighed. “You mean the fortune teller lady?”

“Yeah, her.”

Aasim widened his eyes, jaw dropping a bit as if he understood. “That makes a lot more sense than anything i’d come up with…”

“What does?” Violet asked.

“It was her.”

“Her who?”

Aasim slouched his shoulders in disappointment. “Really, guys? The curse. I’m willing to bet it was the creepy lady.”

Violet’s mouth opened. “Holy shit...Then lets go.”

“Now…?” Louis cringed, earning a look of disbelief.

“I want my girlfriend back.”

“...and I want baby Clem,”

“Louis-” “-She’s more fun this way! Plus she doesn’t yell at me…” He sheepishly defended, glancing over to Brody. “C’mon, Vi… Just a few more days? We know where she’s at, when can go see her when we’re ready,”

“Absolutely not,” She frowned. “Clementine is a toddler. A fucking child, Louis.” She scolded, interrupting herself as she felt a pang in her chest. “...and I miss her,”

“It hasn’t even been twenty four hours.”

“Shut up, Marlon,” Violet grumbled, folding her arms. “I just want her back. Okay?”

Louis sighed. “Then let me stay here. I can at least enjoy it until you guys get back.”

“You guys…?”

Violet turned to Aasim with pleading eyes. “You know the most about this shit, and Omar you’re the one who figured it out. Please?”

Aasim groaned, rolling his eyes. “Seriously…?”

“Yes seriously,” Violet pleaded. “Aasim, I never ask you for shit-” “-there was the one time you asked him what to get Clem for christmas-” “-Louis,”  “-got it.” Violet sighed, hopelessly. “Please…?”

The boy merely huffed, shaking his head and turning around to grab his sweatshirt off the back of the couch. “Whatever. Let’s just go.”

“Omar…?” Violet asked quietly, receiving a shrug and a nod.

“She’d kill me if I didn’t. Plus, she’d do the same for us.”

Marlon scoffed, Mitch chuckling in disbelief beside him. “You guys are literally going to the boardwalks. Quit being so dramatic, you make it sound like you’re about to go risk your lives.”

“Maybe they are,” Louis defended, getting an eye roll from almost everyone in the group.

“Can I come…?” Tenn piped up, getting a small nod from Violet. The boy picked the baby up, leaving a frowning Brody and a sad Louis.

“You have to take her…?”

Aasim shrugged. “Technically, no. Violet’s the one that’s cursed. Clem’s just the effect of it.”

“So she can stay….?” Louis was practically bouncing on his toes.

“I don’t know,” Yes, Violet didn’t like being near babies, but she also didn’t like leaving her girlfriend under the watch of the three most reckless men in her life: Mitch, Marlon, and Louis.

“Brody’ll be here!” Louis begged, getting a cringe.

“I’m not sure that makes it any better…”

“I won’t let them hurt her, I promise,” Brody pleaded, earning a  sigh.

“Whatever. Don’t kill my girlfriend.”

“Pedophile-” “-Louis!” “Okay! Okay,”

Violet glared at the boy as she moved to the door, only to hear  a whimper of protest. “Vi!” The blonde turned her head to see Clementine waddling over in her direction, sippy cup in hand (courtesy of Ruby’s purchase). “Where goin’?” The toddler questioned, Violet kneeling down to her height.

“Hopefully, to get you back to normal…” She trailed off, fixing the toddlers shirt a little bit.

“I come,” Clementine nodded, only for Violet to quickly shake her head.

“You’re gonna stay here with Brody, alright?” Her heart immediately sunk as Clementine’s lip quivered, eyes tearing up. “Don’t do that...C’mon, hey, I’ll be right back.”

“I come,” Clementine protested again, throwing herself into Violet’s arms. Violet widened her eyes a bit in shock, keeping her arms where they had been, only to sigh and softly wrap them around her as she whimpered.

“Just stay here Clem, okay? I’ll…” Violet thought for a moment. “You still like apples?” Clementine immediately pulled back, looking up at Violet with wide eyes. Violet grinned. “I’ll bring you back some apples, how does that sound…?”

Clementine frowned again, Violet’s expression matching hers as she waited for a moment. “You come back soon?”

Violet nodded. “I’ll be home as quick as I can,”

Clementine kept thinking for a moment, before dropping her sippy cup to the side and slumping her shoulders. “You come back soon.”

“I will, I promise,” Violet assured. She scanned over Clementine’s face, almost completely forgetting their friend around them. She still had the same god damned eyes. Those fucking eyes. Before she even knew what was happening, she felt a tear threatening to escape, quickly moving forwards and pulling Clementine in a hug. “You gotta make me a promise too, though. You gotta promise to be good for Brody, okay?”

She felt Clementine nod. “I p’omise.”

Violet half laughed, pulling back and placing a small kiss on Clementine’s head, ruffling her hair. “Stay out of trouble, alright?”

“Just leave already!” Louis grinned. “We’ve got her.”

“No, Brody’s got her,” Violet quickly corrected, glancing to the auburn haired girl as she walked over and picked Clementine up.

“Yes I do,” She spoke, her tone childish as she grabbed Clementine’s chubby fingers. “Don’t I?”

“B’ody go’me!” She grinned, Brody cooing as she picked up the sippy cup and set it to the side.

Brody then began bobbing up and down again, looking over to Violet and nodding her head. “Go. We got her.”

Violet shakily nodded, making her way to the door where Omar and Tenn were waiting, Aasim presumably in the car. “Text me if you need anything.” She called, Brody nodding, only for Violet to peek her head in again. “-and Ruby’s co-leader when she gets back!” Her head disappeared, only to reappear a second later. “-Brody don’t let them-” “-Go! We aren’t gonna do anything stupid,” Mitch waved off, moving to shut the door in her face.

“Do you know yourselves?” She glared, flipping him the middle finger as she backed up along the sidewalk.

Mitch began to close the door, presumably to keep out the warm weather, but not before Violet saw Clementine sticking up her middle finger as well, followed by a scolding ‘no!’ from Brody.