five » how to plan a breakup

Selene had woken up abnormally early on Monday.

She had always thought of herself as an early riser, after all, she woke up fairly early in comparison to her peers. But waking up at six fifteen AM on Monday at the third alarm she set went off made her realize she was not a morning person.

After doing a face full of makeup and dressing up in an outfit suitable for her and Zoë's plan as well as her school's dress code.

Seeing the layer of dark clouds in the sky that practically screamed rain she had decided to dress a bit warmer.

She wore a bright orange cropped sweater, black high waisted ripped jeans, hoop earrings and a thin choker. Her makeup was mostly simple with nude lips and her eyelids coloured red and burnt orange like a sunset with a small wing of eyeliner and some mascara. She straightened her hair and put half of it up in a high ponytail while the rest flowed down her back. She put on some all-black converse and grabbed a windbreaker as she headed out of the house with her Michael Kors backpack, her keys in her hand.

April showers bring May flowers, she reminded herself as she stared up at the dark clouds. Though it wasn't quite April yet, the sentiment remained.

The day felt entirely weird.

She didn't have Zoë saving her a parking spot when she arrived to school like always, she didn't meet Zoë at her locker or walk to their first period class together. Instead, she saw that Zoë was already sitting at the other side of the room in a new seat.

She had to remind herself that it was all for show. Like secret agents on a mission, they had to make their cover believable and they couldn't blow it. She couldn't take it personal.

By the time the second lunch started and she was free from the constraints of class for an hour, she could have wept, but she remembered just how long the wings on her eyelids had taken.

She found an empty table in the quad, a couple of tables away from where Declan's group notoriously sat.

They sat there a few moments later and Selene put her earbuds in and took out her lunch, trying to seem nonchalant as she watched them out of the corner of her eyes.

Now that she thought about it, she had never really spoke to his friends—sans for an incident during grade nine when his friend, Verona, had walked up to her and told her bluntly that Selene's boyfriend at the time was sharing her nudes with other guys in his grade proclaiming that he had 'bagged the superintendent's daughter'.

When it became clear that Declan didn't notice her, she began to eat her lunch, stabbing her chicken salad and drinking her pressed juice.

"Hey."

She looked up, momentarily choking on a leaf of spinach.

Declan stood before her, wearing a green hoodie under a jean jacket with a pair of black jeans. She couldn't see any bracelets as his arms were covered but she could see the couple of rings he sported on both hands. His dark hair was covered with a tan baseball cap that cast a shadow over his face and it was obvious he hadn't shaved that morning due to the scruff on his jaw. Two golden necklaces dipped into his hoodie presumably the cross and some other chain.

She chewed and swallowed the leaf of spinach. She took out her earphones, shifting her posture and smiling up at him. "What's up?" she asked with a smile, using her fork to gesture to the seat across from her.

He took the seat. "Not much," he replied. "What's up with you, Selene?"

She chuckled a bit. "You see, I was just eating but someone happened to interrupt."