nine » how to dtr

Being Declan Grey's person of interest was certainly amusing

After their first date, she had messaged him to make sure he had gotten home safely to which he responded "yeah" followed by his number.

Ever since Selene added him as a contact, he sent her good morning and good night messages and tried to have at least a half an hour conversation with her, using the excuse of "I just want to get to know you".

At school, he would simply hand her an ice coffee each morning and pass by with his friends. The first few times, she had yelled thanks after him, he hadn't even glanced backwards so she resorted to posting the clear cup of caffeine on her Snapchat and Instagram stories almost every morning.

At lunch, she was now surrounded by Declan's friends—who she noticed each had their own iced coffees from the morning—though she offered no more than her company and a few chuckles. When walking through the halls, girls sometimes stopped her to ask if she and Declan were 'a thing' to which she shrugged and said that they'd only gone on one date or that they were just talking.

Selene looked down at her phone when it vibrated.

She had to save Zoë's number under 'Girl from History' to avoid suspicion. She turned down her brightness, angling the phone away from Declan where they sat at the lunch table.

'You need to dtr'.

Selene switched over to her browser so she could decipher what exactly Zoë had meant.
Determine The Relationship.

She sent a few question marks to Zoë.

'Confirm your relationship status. Go from It's Complicated to In a Relationship'

She sent a few thumbs up emojis and looked up to find the group looking at her.

"What?" she asked.

"You comin' with?" Declan asked.

"Coming with where?"

"We're skipping third," Verona responded.

"Oh," she said. "Sure. I have a spare anyways."

Though usually, she spent it in the library, reading, or watching Netflix or heck even doing homework, she found herself walking out of school with Declan's group just before the bell rung.

They made their way to the soccer field. It's still too cold for gym classes to be held outside so the six are alone with the abnormally green grass. They sit under the bleachers as the grass isn't damp with dew there.

Ruby reached into her bag and pulled out a Tupperware.

"I thought your dealer was pissed that you wouldn't sleep with him," Carlos said.

Ruby rolled her eyes. "Nyx set me up with her dealer."

Everyone glanced at Declan and then Selene at the mention of her name. It only took a second and then everyone's eyes were back on Ruby and her Tupperware.

She was licking the edge of a cylinder of brown paper. Carlos leaned over and Selene caught view of pink socks peeking out from his jeans. He flicked his lighter as Ruby held the cylinder in her mouth, lighting the end.

Ruby sucked in a long breathe and then pulled the cylinder out of her mouth, blowing out a cloud of smoke and passing it to Verona. It went around the circle before Declan passed it to her.

"No thanks. I don't smoke," she said.

"You don't know how?" Roman asked.

"I know how," she started. "I used to in ninth grade but I don't anymore."

They all nodded and Declan passed it to Carlos.

"Can we talk?" she asked.

The group chorused back with 'ooh's.

He coughed, reaching in his bag for water. "Right now?"

She said nothing as she stood up and headed further down the field. She heard Declan let out a "Jesus Christ" before following her and turned to face him once she was sure they were far away from hearing distance of his friends.

"What are we doing?" she asked.

"Selene, if you're not comfortable with the smoking we can go do something else--"

"No," she cut him off. "What are we doing?"

His eyebrows furrowed.

She pointed at herself then him.

"Oh," he said. "Oh."

She tapped her foot. "Look I just want to know what I'm getting into. We went on a date, we kissed. You bring me ice coffee every morning and then you talk to me and say that you just 'want to get to know me', but is that all?"

He sighed. "You kind of just ruined everything."

"What?"

"I had this whole date planned and then I was going to ask you to be my girlfriend. I'm not into labels like that but I really like you and I want everyone to know."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're chill and you're smart and we can talk and you get along with my friends--"

"Except Ruby," she said. "I think she likes you."

Declan snorted. "Ruby's a lesbian."

"Really?"

Declan looked up as he recited, "Demisexual lesbian."

She nodded. "Cool. So she just hates me."

He snorted. "She'll come around." Pause. "We good?" he asked, reaching for her hand.

She slipped her fingers into the spaces between his. "We good."

He grinned as he leaned down to kiss her.

Their lips barely met before Verona yelled out, "Not in my Christian home!" and they parted with laughs.

"Are you cool with us smoking?" he said.

She nodded.

"If you ever become uncomfortable, just tell me."

"Trust me; I will."

He leaned down again and pressed a kiss to her cheek before leading her back to the group. "By the way, I'm taking you out on Saturday."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah, it was kind of in my goals to have a girlfriend by Sunday so."

She laughed as they sat down.