THE MEETING - I

Chapter Two

EVE

🎵 Lonely... I am so lonely, I have nobody to call my owwwwn. 🎵

If someone had told me this is how I'd be waking up the following morning, I'd probably have spat in their faces.

Just kidding.

I'd never do that, but as the sad words filter in through the open window of my bedroom from a passing car, they echo how I truly feel.

There is a deep ache building up in my heart. Rolling over, I hug my pillow tightly as pressure builds up in my chest and I struggle to take a shuddering breath to clear it away. Instead, a watery tear slides down my face and I let it. This has been a familiar routine with me almost every morning.

Being the last born of six children with all my siblings married out of the house, leaving me the last one standing and still living under my parent's roof isn't something to smile about, like - at all!

I feel like such a failure. There is no particular pressure from my parents to get married but when you live in a society where once you're 28 years old and counting and not married yet, you would be deemed old and ineligible for it.

In more direct terms - an old hag! Quote me on that!

I don't care though, because I decided last year on what I would do come the following year, if I'm still single.

Three options: Do an IVF treatment and become a single mother, adopt a baby and still become a single mother, or just plain remain single and act nonchalant.

Either way, the earth will continue to rotate on its axis, days will come and go and life will continue. I am not fazed. The ache would never leave me, though. I feel unloved and unwanted. It doesn't help either that I'm a conservative person, I never go anywhere - ever!

Sighing at the misery that's my life, I hug my pillow tighter.

What am I going to do with myself today?

Let me see, stay in bed and sulk or stay in bed and sulk?

Great idea.

I snuggle deeper into the sheets. With my eyes closed, my mind drifts to the events of last night. After walking out on Batman at the club, I texted Ebere while in the back seat of a taxi I'd luckily snagged.

The taxi man was on his way home and took pity on me by picking me up after much begging on my part. Ebere was livid, as expected, but it couldn't be helped. I just wanted to get away from the whole cloying atmosphere of the club and Batman, of course.

I remembered the way his eyes had raked over my body from bottom to top. I didn't even know his real name. What's the point? I'll obviously never meet him again.

My boyfriend, Dee, had been acting up lately. I'd call him but he wouldn't pick his calls. He'd then text me much later at a very late hour and expect me to text him back, depriving me of my much - needed sleep. I tried, I really did try not to feel bad, but I did.

Who the heck am I kidding?
I'm a human being with feelings - a woman, a special specie created by God.

I don't like being treated like I don't matter by anyone, least of all a man, even if said man is my boyfriend. I'm able to read the hand writing on the wall, it's basically over, but I still cling to the hope that he will come around and be the once - loving boyfriend he used to be.

Where does he get off acting all mysterious and wierd - that's a girl's duty.

I will never call him again, I vow to myself now. Matter of fact, two can play that game. If he dares call me back sometime, I will give him the finger, not literally, but I definitely won't pick his calls. And they always call, if not for anything, but for that itch in their groin, it's in their DNA.