Chapter 23

I take Calum's hand, and he pulls me out of the car.  Fans line the sidewalk screeching for autographs and photos.  Interviewers pull celebrities to the side, hoping to get a quick word.  The paparazzi snaps photos, blinding my eyes with the flash.

"Smile," Luke reminds me as we get closer to the actual carpet.

"It's fine," I say.  "It's just walking."

Calum puts his hand on my lower back, leading me forward.  I flash my smile for the camera, tilting my body towards Calum.  

An interviewer waves to the band and we move toward her.

"Today, I'm here with pop punk Australian band, 5 Seconds of Summer."  She speaks with a heavy Italian accent into the camera.

"Hello," they say in unison and wave.

"How are you guys doing tonight?"         

"We're well.  How are you?"  Ashton replies, leading the conversation. 

I try to remain focused, and not to let my eyes glaze over as the interviewer asks, and they answer, the standard questions: Are you excited to be here?  How is tour going?  What has been you favorite venue to play so far?  Anything new for the fans?

"Lee," Calum nudges me. 

"Yes?  Sorry..."

"I was hoping you could answer a few questions?"  The interviewer moves her microphone to my mouth.

"Yes, certainly."

"Can I say first of all that you look beautiful tonight.  Stunning.  We think it's so fascinating that you've been on tour with this band.  Where has been your favorite place to visit?"

I think for a second, "I think that everywhere we've been so far has been really beautiful.  Especially since I'm not very well traveled.  I loved London–the history, the buildings, the people, the food.  And Milan is wonderful!"

She laughs then moves to another question, "The fans have exploded on social media after you and Calum confirmed your relationship speculations.  I know that some are negative, others are positive, what do you think?" 

"Well...I think that, on the internet people tend to..."  I try to chose my words carefully.  "They say things that they wouldn't have the courage to say in real life, so I certainly haven't appreciated the hate.  But other fans are really accepting and supportive of me, and...5SOS really has the best fans."

One of the organizers on the carpet motions us forward, and the woman ends the interview.

"Gracias."  Michael says.

"It's gratzi, idiot."  Calum gives him a nudge.

His hand presses into the small of my back and we step forward.  My hand finds my hip and I start posing, as natural as I can be in the spotlight, while the boys stick out their tongues and make punk faces and signs.  We continue walking down the carpet, stopping every couple feet to be blinded by the cameras. 

"Lee, you're with 5SOS, you have to look punk."  Luke informs me.

"How am I supposed to do that?"  I ask through my clenched, smiling teeth.

"Look at Michael," Ashton whispers.          

"Aww...you think I'm punk?"  He asks, raising his voice. 

"Not when you talk like that." 

I raise my eyebrows for the camera and stick out my tongue, hoping I look as cute as the boys do.  The fans cheer louder, and I know someone important just walked onto the carpet.  JLo?  Queen Bee?  I turn, but there are too many people and this new celebrity is in the eye of the hurricane.