Chapter 38

Chapter 38

"Wow. You should really keep this locked." Ashton laughs, opening the door.

"Yeah, people can just walk in." Luke scolds then locks the door behind him.

I grin, seeing the band for the first time since being back to Australia. The boys pull me into an enormous hug with Calum waiting awkwardly on the outside. Luke lets me go last, such a big child, always wanting to hang on. Then Calum runs his hand through my hair and kisses me lightly.

"Guys, guys...if you're just gonna be couple-y this whole time I'm gone." Michael groans.

I put my hands up, smiling, then place them behind my back.

"Nope we're good. The four of us were friends first."

"Happy birthday, by the way." Ashton says, patting my back.

"Thank you."

"I feel so young now." Luke frowns. "But I'm starving. Calum pull out the food."

"Oh my gosh: Mexican food. I have been craving a burrito. Is there gua..."

Calum nods. The five of us relocate to the living room and I click on the TV for empty sound. Calum hands me my chicken burrito and Michael passes around a tray of Starbucks drinks. I take a sip, the warm green tea latte filling me. I know that Calum must have remembered it was what I ordered when I spilled it on him.

"So...what's it like being a year older?" Ashton asks, burrito filling spilling into his strategically placed napkin.

I think for a moment. "Well, I feel the same...can't drink, can't vote. But college is going to be something for sure."

"Lee, I can't believe you're leaving us again. We haven't seen you for months." Luke complains.

"Life calls, right? I mean, you guys will be so wrapped up with writing and the studio and all of that jazz." I reassure him.

"But you're our only friend who's a girl. How are we supposed to meet other girls?" Michael whines.

"I don't even know any girls right now." I say then take an oversized bite of my burrito.

When it looks like everyone has finished, Calum pulls out the cake. It is strawberry shortcake, one of my absolute favorites, and it is the kind I always had for my birthday growing up. He must have asked my mom. Luke sticks twenty candles into the cake, one for good luck, which I think is a bit excessive, but he insists on doing. Then they sing Happy Birthday to me in their beautiful punk pop singsong voices.

I cut into the cake and have the first bite; then they go crazy serving themselves enormous pieces. I wonder what they'll be like on the their sugar highs. They jump around 'til around ten, then Joe tells them to quiet down. By midnight they're asleep. I can tell that they're all exhausted after another hard day in the studio.

"Lee, I still have to give you my present." Calum tells me, helping to pick up the plates and cover the sleeping boys with blankets.

"Cal, I said you didn't have to get me anything. I really don't need a thing." I remind him, slipping several plates into the sink and vowing to wash them tomorrow.

"I know, I know. But I wanted to and it's nothing big. Is it cool that we're crashing the night or do you want us to leave?"

"No, no, it's fine. They kind of just passed out too and I wouldn't want to wake them...So where is this mysterious gift of mine?" I ask, tugging on Calum's arm.