Chapter 4 - Informant

After the incident at the tavern, the open road lost its joy. Seeing no roadhouses as the sky darkened, Terra decided to sleep under the stars, having no desire to interact with another person, anyway. A grove of tall trees off the roadside ahead seemed suitable, so she pulled off and coasted to a stop. She leaned her head down on the handlebars, recalling the rage that nearly overwhelmed her.

I almost killed him. Am I becoming like the monsters I fight?

Terra joined the Blue Uprising many years ago with noble intentions to fight against tyranny and lift society from the dystopia, or so she told herself. But there was another motive — to avenge her mother. The elite class in the Dynasty, generally those with significant Talent, lived a very comfortable life, feeling superior, entitled to their wealth, above the law, and loath to surrender any of their advantages.

Power corrupts.

Most others were deemed lower class, living under an economic system designed to serve the elite, a squalid existence with justice only a vague dream. The Dynasty kept control with a brutal organization called the Office of Enforcement. Their leader, Necros, perhaps the second most powerful Talent alive, killed Anna personally.

I claim to fight for justice, but is vengeance still the deeper motive?

Having no answer to her questions, she dismounted and pulled out her bedroll, spreading it over a small tarp, and rolling up a jacket as a makeshift pillow. A small patch of grass became a mattress. The warm evening with a slight breeze made it comfortable enough to sleep without a tent. She kicked off her boots and laid back on her bed, allowing her thoughts drifted back to her lost friend.

What would Anna say? Probably tell me some silly joke to lighten the mood. Then she would tell me that the fact that I worry about my motives means I am not too far gone. We are all fallible and all we can do is the best we can, day by day.

The stars spread wide above Terra, each like a glimmer of hope defying the darkness. A nearly full golden moon rose from the east, casting faint shadows of the trees about her.

So beautiful! There is still beauty in this world, and thus, hope.

She drifted off into slumber. Unusually pleasant dreams that night lent themselves to restful sleep.

Terra woke the next morning with the sun on her face, feeling surprisingly refreshed, as if renewed. She pulled her boots back on and put away the bedding. A granola bar from her supplies and a drink from a water jug served as breakfast. She kissed her fingers and raised them to the sky.

Thank you, Anna. Even after your death, you are still so good for me.

The journey continued for two more days. Terra passed uneventfully from Blue Uprising to Dynasty controlled territory, spending nights in isolated roadhouses, each with welcomed warm baths and comfortable beds. She mostly avoided interactions with others and there were no more incidents. The impoverishment of the towns and hamlets she passed through reminded her of a higher purpose.

Terra arranged a mid-afternoon appointment with the informant, Lar Flinn, at a small, abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of Stronghold. Even though Stronghold was the largest city in the Highland Provence, it paled compared to major cities closer to Capital City in size and wealth.

She wound by ramshackle houses on a dusty road, dodging a swirling whirlwind in her path. Dirty, barefoot children played near the side of the road, blissfully unaware of their poverty. Past the houses sat a series of apparently abandoned dried wood and rusty metal buildings, some leaning near collapse. The area had a feeling of desolation about it, mourning of better times past.

Terra arrived three hours early to scout the location. Past experience with Lar demonstrated that trustworthiness was not one of his defining traits — he might sell out anyone for the right price. Regardless, a wary and patient agent had a better chance at a long life. She circled the area twice and then examined the warehouse inside, finding it empty save for cobwebs and a pile of dusty grain sacks. Briefly shifting into the aura, although somewhat risky since others of Talent nearby would more likely detect her, she observed no one else in the area. Retreating to a small open-ended shelter, she parked her motorcycle inside. From here, she could see who approached.

So far, so good.

Right on time, Lar arrived at the warehouse, looking left and right as he stalked toward the broken door. Terra stifled a chuckle, thin and wiry, even physically he fit her portrayal as a weasel. She let him stew inside for several minutes and then entered the warehouse through a back door.

"Lar, it is so good to see you again." She grinned as he jerked in surprise.

He put a hand to his chest and blew out a breath. "Don't do that to me, Lorr. You scare me half to death."

"I know, but it is kind of fun, but let's get down to business. What do you have for me?"

Lar pivoted and shot his gaze across the old building, as if expecting more to sneak up on him.

"Easy, Lar," she said, holding up her hands. "I am here all by my lonesome self. Do you have something for me or not?"

"Do you have my payment?"

Terra withdrew an envelope of cash from her pants cargo pocket and held it before him. He reached for it and she pulled it back. "But you first."

He nodded and pulled crumpled sheets of paper from beneath his shirt. "There's this guy, Will Sall is his name. He was seen at two of the Hooded Man things. First one 'bout a year and a half or so ago down away south. The police interviewed him. Here's a copy of the police report." He handed a sheet of paper to Terra.

"Paper, Lar? Couldn't you get this on a viewer?"

"Lots of poor people 'round here that can't afford a viewer," he scowled. "Anyways, the other time was just a couple months ago west of here when this hooded guy took out two Dynasty Enforcers all by himself. He rescued a bunch of locals, so no one there was talkin' to the investigators. But I saw Will runnin' away myself, like he had something to hide. Here's a picture of him."

Lar handed Terra the other sheet of paper he held. She raised an eyebrow as she gazed at the grainy image. This Will Sall seemed like a normal enough person, handsome even, not at all like she imagined an extremely powerful Talent would be, if he was at all.

Terra pulled her eyes away from the photograph. "So, you believe there is a so-called Hooded Man?"

"Oh, some of the stories are fake, sure, but the Hooded Man is real enough." Lar paused and looked at Terra.

She furrowed her brow. "Is this all you have, Lar?"

"Look, this Will Sall is either the Hooded Man or he knows about him. He travels a lot, but his home is up north in a town called Freehold. When he passes through Stronghold, he always stays at the Crossroads Tavern, just down the road. He got here this mornin'. You can still catch him."

Terra tilted her head and gazed into Lar's eyes, searching for signs of deception. Finding none, she nodded. "Okay, Lar. Take your payment." She handed him the envelope, but when he grasped it, she squeezed his hand telekinetically, holding it in place. His eyes widened as she issued a warning. "But if this is false, I will come back for a refund." Terra released her hold and Lar scurried off.

Terra folded and stuffed the papers into her pocket and walked back to the nearby shelter that hid her motorcycle.

She sighed. A weasel points me to a handsome man who may or may not be the most powerful Talent alive. What could possibly go wrong?