Chapter 11: Khairrim - Tears

"The loneliest moment in someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly." – F. Scott Fitzgerald

ArBrae Forest, Ardam 42

The Second One patiently waited until the king and queen left the room, and closed the giant wooden door. He gently unwrapped the bundle. Much of his energy had been wasted on the attempt to conceal the bundle's content from the eyes of the elves. It must have been successful, or else the elves would have made their discontent known immediately. They will know the truth, but not now. The time was not right. The knowledge would put them in danger. He knew that he could trust the king, but Aylissa was another matter entirely. She was wise at times, but she desired greatness above everything. Her thirst for power was as insatiable as her curiosity – and it has grown exponentially in the past year.

He had to tell her a lie so that she would be more receptive to his plan in the future.

A single tear started to form in the corner of his eye. It started its trek in the corner and travelled down his face, making a glistening path across his cheek. At the side of his jaw, it stopped and hovered for a moment, asking his permission to travel further. The tear fell downward and found a new path on the content of the bundle where it slowly disappeared.

He placed the bundle in the casket, looked at it for the last time and closed the lid. He muttered a very long and incomprehensible password. The casket glowed blue and gold and protective magical layers started to cover the casket.

When he was finished, he gently pushed open the great wooden door. Aylissa had left, but Eoghan still stood outside.

"It is done. Thank you, my dear friend. I owe you, again."

"We are friends. You have taught me much that I know now. We have fought together in the War of Wars. You have been my leader, and you have been under my command. I have protected your secrets, but it is time for you to make peace with yourself. You must accept who you are and live the life planned for you. Embrace it."

Soon Eoghan would have forgotten it all. Bits of his memory has already started to fade away – just like every other lesser that had been involved in the war.

Khairrim answered his friend with a melancholic smile: "I will, friend, but not now. There will be a time for that, but not soon."

"You must learn from your mistakes."

"I have made too many."

"Become wise then. Be safe, friend. I will see you."

"Goodbye. Be a wise and just king, but then you are a wise and just man. Eoghan, I beg you to love your children equally."

The Second One stepped outside the stone chamber and disappeared back into the dark night.

Please comment and vote! I'd love to hear from you!