Chapter 12: Laelia - Gift

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost:

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

- J.R.R. Tolkien

Alachna City, Ardam 792

I can hear Aedan calling my name. He outran me half an hour ago. We have been chasing each other through the forest since dawn.

"Aedan, it's time to go home! We are going to be late. Mother will be disappointed if we are late for our own party," I say desperately.

"You are just disappointed because I am faster than you," he taunts.

"I'll race you home," he shouts after a second.

I start to run back to the city. The wind gently blows on my face. The understory of moss and fallen leaves submits to my bare feet, crackling as my feet touch the ground. I am careful not to step on any herbs or small medicinal shrubs. I jump right over them. The smell of fresh plants and blossoms fill the air.

It is spring in ArBrae Forest, which means that the otherwise only green forest explodes into a palette of colour and fragrances. I breathe it all in.

It also means that it rains for most of the day.

Today was one of the few days where it didn't rain at all, and Aedan and I seized the day.

Something smashes into my left side, knocking me into the ground.

"I have caught you!" Aedan announces triumphantly.

"At least you have a brain to use to your advantage, even if you are slower than a turtle," I reply sourly.

I tug the streak of silver hair on the left of his face. His midline mirrors an identical streak on the right. All his remaining hair is as dark as the night.

He smiles his special smile, one only we share.

His pale heaven-blue eyes smile wider than his mouth.

He punches my shoulder lightly. "You know you look like a riverbed - all mud and leaves and hair," he says laughingly.

"Is it not a look that suits me perfectly?" I ask tauntingly.

"You are missing something." Aedan quickly reaches out with his left arm and plucks a small red flower.

He puts it in my hair: "Now you are perfect."

I smile back at him. "Thank you, but we have to go now. At least you will not be blamed, because you and Mother both know that I always drag you into trouble, even if you are the one that emptied a whole bucket of water onto my face hours before dawn," I try to muster as much sarcasm as I can.

"It was a perfect day," he says innocently. "We could not spend it inside, doing lessons."

Aedan stands up and takes my hand. Without letting go he pulls me to my feet. "And I know you ached to feel the sun on your face."

"That is true."

Like one, we start to run back. The trees fly by. We pass a few small animals, but we do not stop to play with them.

I love the forest. To me, it is the most beautiful place, but every time I approach the city, I am left breathless.

Alachna City is the capital of the forest. It is where the king and queen live. It is where the Elder Council meets.