Chapter 54: Aebbé - Leap

"We often are so scared of taking that leap of faith either to connect with people, or to allow ourselves to be ourselves without judging, that we stay where we are and feel trapped there." - Jodi Aman

The following days drag on as I am bullied into a routine of being dressed by the Crows, attending the Ice Queen's court - who suddenly always wears a chilling smile, and being cooped up in my room.

The crows are exasperated by the fact that they are no longer able to make my hair into a bun. What irks them even more, is that I am forced to do a lot of sewing to make their horrible dresses presentable. Crow One was the first to realise that I redesigned them. She did not say anything, but little ice crystals danced in her eyes.

I am still allowed to eat dinner in the main hall, but guards accompany me everywhere. Even though Caith told me that my brother is trying to protect me, I can't shake the nagging feeling that I might also be a prisoner. Prince Eoghan has taken Caith's place at the table, leaving me without any true ally.

So, an hour before midnight, eight days after I last saw Caith, a clink distracts me from my sewing. As I walk to my window, something whirrs past me and skids on the floor. The small black pebble at my feet could only have been thrown into my room by someone with great skill. The full moon reveals my golden-haired saviour waiting beneath my window.

“Caith?”

“I told you that I would rescue you.”

“You are standing at the bottom of my window, which is on the third storey. I do not see how you are able to rescue me. Not to mention the two or more guards outside my door,” I say with a cynical smile.

“A little trust please, sun's shine?”

“You know I trust you - irrevocably. I just do not see how.”

“I am the doer of the impossible.”

His smug smile makes my heart beat a little speedier.

“How about doing something then?” An equally arrogant grin rests on my face.

He shrugs his shoulders. “Just jump out.”

“Excuse me?”

“I’ll catch you,” he answers, rolling those remarkable eyes.

“Let me just first write a note to tell everyone that you murdered me.”

“Of your own volition.”

I give a lopsided, doubtful smile. Caith I trust completely - but jumping out of my window and falling three storeys and hoping that he would catch me successfully is a very mad idea.

“You promise that I will not die? I am actually quite young and would like to live a memorable life.”

“You have already lived one.”

I sit down on the windowsill and swing my legs round to the outside. A moment's hesitation passes after closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, before I push myself out of the window. Regret at this lapse of judgement fills me immediately.

"You can open your eyes."

Opening my eyes tentatively, they meet Caith's who stares at me with one lifted eyebrow.