Bonus Chapter 1: Caith - Fragile

"Now the thought of forever makes me tired. Frightened. Sad. What is forever worth? When love is so fragile and even one human life so long?" - Stacey Jay

Caith,
Raven's Peak, Ardam 40

Raven's Peak has been dull and dreary since our arrival, which is understandable as the war has been taxing on the residents. However, the Ardam sons are doing a commendable job of pretending that the war could still be swayed in our favour. They bid us a warm welcome when we arrived a turn of the moon ago. I am irked that it took us so long to come. Things might have been less dooming if the elves came earlier, but they refused to get involved when the first tidings of war reached their ears. After I finally convinced prince Eoghan, who in turn persuaded his father, The Second Order had made the journey to Raven's Peak - another valuable two months wasted.

The first time we came to Ardam's hall, we were announced from the lowest to the highest ranking. As Lord Commander of the Second Order I outrank them all.

"Lords Damaris Farforest, Reynyn Floodfinder and Ludel Strongwind."

Reynyn grins conspiratorily: "Did you hear that? We are lords."

Elves don't have lords, but the humans are affording them the title to show respect. Elven titles are usually convoluted and confusing.

Ludel does not look impressed: "I think it is an insult."

Reynyn rolls his eyes.

"Prince Eoghan Darkwood, son of King Faelan Darkwood."

They didn't use the introductions we sent them. Eoghan chose Elderlight as his family name, not Darkwood. I have no idea how these elves chose surnames. It is something that still eludes me - being such a complicated and fickle business.

"Lord Caith, Commander of the Second Order."

I have no problem with being called a lord. Hell, that is possibly the most inconspicuous title I'd ever have.

I skipped the dinner last night as Floodfinder told me that the humans were refusing to aid us with supplies for the wounded, but Eoghan recounted the entire scene that unfolded when the princess came to dinner and took my seat.

Initially I had felt uncomfortable having my seat at the main table, as all the elves had been given seats at another table, but it had turned out for the better as the others, save Eoghan, would have had difficulty remaining polite. I know the Vaubadon line do not take kindly to insults. I almost shudder when I remember the wrath of a Vaubadon whose wife had been untrue to him with a villager. He slaughtered the entire village brutally, even the children, but that was a very long time ago. The world is not as barbaric anymore.

My eyes dart to the empty seat next to me. The princess is yet to appear for the night. It is impolite to not be at a feast on time, yet she didn't seem the kind to intentionally break etiquette, with the scene last night being the exception, of course. Neither the King or his brother have mentioned anything about the vacant chair so far.

A guard banging the knocker on the door silences the hall.

"Princess Aebbé of Ardam, daughter of King Ardam Vaubadon."

All those with rankings lower than hers shuffle to a stand. My table, Eoghan and I remain seated.

I quickly ransack my brain for anything I can remember about her - like I do with every person I encounter. I didn't realise who she was last night when she commanded the healing staff to give me everything I needed for my people.