CH. 3

THREE:

Tuesday, January 10th
9:05 AM

I woke with the sun beaming in my face, making me snap my eyes close almost immediately after opening them. But in that short two seconds I caught a glimpse of my doting boyfriend turned on his side, wide awake, propping his head up in his hand, and blue eyes on me. I smiled softly at the realization. "Why are you watching me sleep?"

"What's wrong with watching you sleep?" He replied. A hand came up and swooped hair from the side of my face to behind my ear, making me grin harder and open my eyes to look at him.

"Don't you know how romantic that is? I thought yesterday was all the sweetness I was gonna get before badass Klaus was back," I teased.

"Well, he is back. I have a few people to track down. See if someone knows where Elijah is. But, that doesn't mean I can't be romantic for the love of my life."

"You know I'm okay, right? You don't have to keep worrying about me anymore. I'm safe. I'm with you. Mikael is hiding away somewhere. Okay?" I frowned, placing a hand on his bare chest and rubbing affectionately. "You didn't lose me. You saved me. I am fine. I am healthy and strong. I am also an adult so you don't have to keep babysitting me."

Klaus sighed, nodding. "I know. I just... I could've lost you, Danielle. You have no idea how scared I was. How much I feared you being more hurt... or worst, finding you dead... I don't ever want to put you in danger like that again."

"I know, babe, but I'm a big girl. I am also you're girlfriend and practically the entire world knows it. I'm a target. I'm always in danger. That's been made very clear now. But Klaus, I'm okay with that. As long as I get to be with you every single day for the rest of my life."

"I love you so much, baby girl," Klaus said and I smiled. Before I could speak he cupped my face in his hands tugged me forward to place a kiss on my lips. "I want to stay in bed with you all day. Kiss you all day. And touch you everywhere—"

"Klaus," I cut him off with a giggle. "No. You're not wasting another day without even looking for your brother. Stop coddling me."

"I'm not coddling you."

"Yes you are!" I laughed, sitting up in bed with him following suit. He crossed his arms and pursed his lips but didn't bother to argue some more. "You did it back in Mystic Falls when I got hurt and could've died... You coddled me for days. And you're trying to do so now, which isn't okay because you have things to do. Important things. Elijah is missing. You can't drop all of your responsibilities because something bad happened to me."

"Fine, I'll leave you alone!"

He went to climb out of bed and I just barely caught his arm before he walked off angry. "Klaus, come on. Don't take it in such a bad way. I love how sweet and caring you've been. Thank you for putting me first. But you did it. You already saved me. Now you have to prioritize our time together because you're relieved I'm mkay and saving your older brother."

"I know. I feel so bad for not looking for him already but the idea of leaving you alone for even a second has me worried sick about you. I can't do it."

"You have to," I said, pulling him back down on the bed. He sat on the edge and I  moved to sit beside him. "Do you know every single moment I'm not with you, I know there's a chance you're life is in danger? Do you know how terrified I was when that stake went through your back? How I thought I lost you? How my stomach dropped and the world froze and my heart pulsed in my ears with fear, grief, and heartbreak? I know how hard it is to be away from me. I struggle with that every day. But I have so much faith in you that I know you'll be fine. I have faith in myself that if you need saving I will make it to your rescue. All I'm asking is you learn to do the same and accept our crazy life."