chapter 1

After the one ring was destroyed and Aragorn was crowned as the King of the Reunited Kingdom Gimli and Legolas decided to travel the land together. During this journey they came closer, learning more and more about each other, their good and bad habits, their preferences and dislikes and they even started having a new type of feelings for each other even though both would never admit it to one another but also to themselves.

Legolas and Gimli were riding through the Land of Rohan (on their way to Minas Tirith) still sharing their horse Arod but something felt different. Since the incident Gimli felt weird holding Legolas hips which adopted the movement of their horse in such a graceful way that it felt weird to hold them with such abrasive hands like his. The strange feeling in his guts when he accidentally touched his skin which was as soft as petals or the scent of his hair which smelled like a spring morning.

Gimli couldn't stop wondering why he never recognized these things before. Did they have any meaning? Or are these things you realize when you spent so much time together like they did? Did Legolas realize similar things? He didn't knew the answer to all these questions and was scared to look deeper.

Legolas was indeed thinking about similar things. About how good Gimlis rough hands felt on his hips and the feeling of comfort that came with it, about how much he loves the feeling of the beard in his back, on which the dwarf was so proud of, even though it was scratchy sometimes and what he loved the most was how grumpy he could get on a rainy day and how happy he turned when the sun came out again.

He couldn't stop but wonder if their relationship would ever be the same since the incident, if they would ever be friends like that again. But the bigger question was if he WANTED their relationship to be like before. Legolas couldn't answer this question at this point.

The day had come to an end and it became time to encamp. Because they still had enough leftovers they didn't need to go on a hunt but put on a fire.

A heavy silence was surrounding them, none of them was ready to talk about the happening that started to threaten their friendship even though both new that they needed to talk about it. But it didn't happen, not today.

The sky got darker and the stars started to dance over the night sky. Both, Dwarv and Elve couldn't sleep thinking about one another and about what the future would bring, scared that it could separate them even though they needed each other, which they still couldn't admit.

The night felt endless, both didn't get much sleep because of their hunting thoughts when the sun finally rose which gave them a reason to stand up and eat breakfast.
Still silence.
Nobody wanted to make the first step when it finally burst out if Legolas:
,Why did you do that?'