Complimentary

Royal/Kingdom au, all countries under monarchy systems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marinette sat on her small thrown next to her parent's larger ones. She was the princess and heir to the thrown of the Cheng dynasty. Her mother Sabine was the empress and held more power than Tom, the emperor. Marinette would have more power too than her husband when ruling China.

Marinette recently turned 14 and everyone was ushering her to find a suitor. Most preferably? A prince. Some might think 14 as such a young age, but when it comes to ruling, it's the best starting age.

Sabine had thousands of letters sent to kingdoms from all over the world to inform of their search for a proper suitor. Many had replied. To have control in China was important. It opened many trade routes which could potentially enrich a country. Kings and Queens sent their sons in hopes of gaining such power.

Today was the day for all of the princes to present themselves. Thousands were waiting just to catch a glimpse of the princess. All of them were excited. However, she wasn't. She was only 14. She wanted to explore the world. She wanted to see her kingdom! She knew so little and wished to see more. Marinette truly cared for all the people, rich or poor. But she didn't have the power to do anything. Which is why she so hesitantly agreed to see possible suitors. Having a possible husband would grant her the power to see her country and her people.

Each prince walked up, one by one, stating their name and their country. Marinette paid no mind to any. None caught her attention. As the two hundredth (at least it felt that way to Marinette) suitor walked up, a short, old man was escorted in by a guard. Sabine raised her hand to stop the suitors and turned her attention to the old man. "Yes?"

The old man bowed. "I have brought a gift to the princess, one which would grant her good luck and happiness for the rest of her life," said the old man. Marinette leaned forward in her seat. A gift?

"That's very kind of you, thank you. You may plac-" "I want to see it," Marinette cut her mother. Sabine turned to her daughter in shock. Marinette's eyes widened and she sat up straight in her chair. "I-I apologize. I would like to see the gift, however. If I may, mother?" Sabine nodded with a smile.

The old man stood up straight and took out a small box from a bag he held. It was wrapped in golden paper and tied neatly with a golden bow. He walked up to Marinette and handed her the gift. "Thank you," she smiled. The box was small and it was very light. The old man gave one last bow before being escorted out. Sabine (noticing the anticipation on her daughter's face) dismissed the remaining princes. They were to see the princess the next day and were allowed to stay in the castle.

When dismissed, Marinette immediately ran to her room. She closed the large double doors and went over to her bed. She sat down and stared at the box. It was absolutely beautiful. Not wanting to destroy such beautiful paper — she carefully undid the bow and peeled off the paper as carefully as possible. Marinette blinked in surprise at the gift. It was black box with red carvings.

She picked it up and opened it. Inside were a pair of ladybug earrings. Marinette smiled. It was a cute gift. She loved ladybugs and they were considered to be good luck. She took off her earrings and placed her new ones. The second she put the second one on, a pink flash blinded her.

A small creature appeared in front of her. Marinette fell back in surprise. "Wh-what are you?!" she shrieked. "I am Tikki. I am a kwami! I give you the power to turn into Ladybug!" it replied. Marinette stared at it with wide-eyes. "L-Ladybug?" The kwami nodded. "Ladybug is a hero that can create and restore, and you have been chosen by the master! Your yoyo gives you the ability to travel and is your weapon. You have a lucky charm that helps you out in situations, but you only have five minutes before turning back. To transform all you saw is: Tikki, spots on!"