04. Hanging Out

Saturday night came too fast. I got up at ten o'clock and wandered around the house. I went into the kitchen and poured myself a bowl of cereal. I took it to the living room and sat on the couch. There were benefits to being home alone and an only child. There were also downsides. I was deaf and I couldn't hear if someone was in the house or at the door.

I finished my dinner and cleaned my dishes before sitting down again. After a couple of hours, I decided to get changed. I wanted to look nice because Victor was coming over. Despite what Josephina said, Victor was attractive.

When I walked into my room, I opened my dresser and grabbed a pair of jean shorts and a black tank top. I grabbed an overshirt.

I sat down at my vanity and put my hair up in a bun and applied a little makeup

I sat down at my vanity and put my hair up in a bun and applied a little makeup. I left my room and sat back down to watch tv.

Around the time that Victor was supposed to come, I went to the porch. There was a swing that hung from the ceiling and it had nice cushions.

I sat on the porch swing and waited. The breeze passed gently by, cooling me down. It was peaceful, though it was hot. It was much warmer here than it was in Oregon, where I was from.

I saw Victor walking down the street, hands in his pockets. When he saw me, his face lit up. He looked quite handsome. His hair was slicked back and he was dressed nicely. No doubt because he was seeing me.

Victor waved and came up my porch stairs. He pointed at the spot next to me and I nodded. He sat next to me and handed me a letter.

Hey, princesa. How are you today? - Victor

I smiled. I'm alright. How are you?

Victor took the paper. I'm alright. Do you want to go inside? It's probably cooler than outside.

It's not too bad. Why don't we stay out here? I wrote.

When the wind stops, it gets too hot. Trust me, I know, Victor replied.

I nodded and opened the door. Victor followed me inside and we sat on my couch. We talked for a while and I had some good laughs.

How did you lose your hearing? Did you have it from birth or something else? Victor wrote.

My smile faded as I took the pen and paper. I never had hearing. I wasn't one of the lucky people born with it.

You're not any different for being deaf, Victor responded.

I shook my head. Some people don't think so. They make fun of me because I can't speak.

Have you ever tried speaking? Victor asked.

I shook my head.

Why not? Victor asked.

People will make fun of me, I replied.

I won't, Victor responded.

I shook my head. I don't want to speak. It's embarrassing.

It can't be that bad, Victor wrote.

Trust me, it is, Victor. It makes me sound dumb and I'm way smarter in ASL, I wrote.

Victor raised an eyebrow at me. You won't sound dumb, Athena. I won't press it, but you should try talking. I want to hear your voice.

I shook my head. I can't. Not right now. Maybe sometime later.

Victor nodded understandingly. I understand. I won't push any longer.

I nodded. Thanks, Victor. Is there anything you want to do?

Card games? I can show you some if you're interested, Victor suggested.

Of course. I'll get the cards, I said.

I got up and went into my room. I grabbed a couple of decks and went back to the living room. I sat back down and we spent the rest of the evening playing cards.