12. Busy Day

Summer was only a few days away and I was excited. I had been working in the fields every afternoon and Saturday with Victor and the Diaz boys. It was hard work but I did it. I needed money if I wanted to go out and do stuff.

I ran down the street with the Diaz kids, Victor, and Thomas. We all worked in the same fields. Thomas's parents let me work under them and didn't mind that I was deaf. They liked me anyways.

When we got to the fields, I set my bag down with the others and dashed down the lines of food. Thomas jogged down the line beside me. He had gotten faster since joining the track team. We found a spot that hadn't been picked yet and we started picking.

We talked while we worked and laughed at a few of our inside jokes. The sun was going down by the time we went up. The Diaz boys left with their parents and I started jogging home with Thomas and Victor. They took me home and Victor gave me a kiss before leaving with Thomas.

I took a shower and started on my homework. I was finished by eleven thirty and went to bed. I had gotten used to working all afternoon and being up late, though I hated how tired I was in the morning.

It was alright though. I got paid and I got to spend time with my friends and Victor. I loved being there with them. They made the unbearable heat better.

I woke up to Dad shaking me awake. I got up and changed into some clothes that were nice enough for school and for work. I grabbed my backpack and started jogging toward school. Halfway there, I was joined by Thomas and the Diaz boys.

We entered the school and split up to our different classes. I sat down just as the teacher began. I pulled out my stuff and started writing the notes.

At lunch, I sat with the entire track team and Josephina. The track team who didn't know ASL were slowly learning it from Victor, Josephina, and Thomas. They were so nice to me and wanted to learn as much as they could.

"Athena," Josephina said. "Danny said you can ride back to the fields with them today."

I nodded. "Sure. That sounds like a plan. Is anyone ready for summer? What are you guys doing?"

Everyone replied to Josephina's translation. Everyone seemed to be working for most of it. We agreed to hang out sometime during the summer. I wanted to see my crew at some point during the summer.

When lunch was over, I went to my neck class with Victor. We sat in our usual spot and Victor placed a hand on my leg. We talked until the class started and I started taking notes. School ended quickly and I dashed outside to join the Diaz boys.

I climbed into the bed of the truck and we were off. My skin had gotten darker from spending so much time in the sun. I loved when my skin got darker. It made me feel good.

We arrived at the fields and I hopped out, putting my backpack with the others. I jogged out to where everyone was picking and started working. The Diaz boys worked beside me, talking with me in the limited sign language they knew.

Late in the evening, the Diaz family drove me home and I hopped out of the truck, waving to them as I walked away. I entered my house and greeted Dad. I sat at the table and ate whatever was left over from dinner. When I was done, I took a shower and did whatever homework I had before going to bed.