11. Late Night

I put all my braids into a big bun. Victor was taking me out again and I wanted to look good. I slipped on a skirt and a t-shirt before heading out to sit on the porch.

 I slipped on a skirt and a t-shirt before heading out to sit on the porch

I was tying my shoes when I saw Victor coming towards my house. I smiled and stood up, walking down the sidewalk to meet him.

Victor pulled me close and kissed me. I smiled and kissed back. He gently held my waist. His kiss was tender and sweet.

Victor pulled away, smiling. "Let's get out of here."

I nodded and grabbed Victor's hand. He led me through the streets to a corner store. We entered and got some food.

Victor paid and we left. We found a curb in some residential area to sit on. We ate and talked, joking around.

"How do you do your braids?" Victor asked.

"I use braiding hair," I replied. "It takes a few hours but it's really easy and it lasts for a long time."

Victor tucked a braid behind my ear. "I think they'll really pretty. I like them. Especially the beads."

I shyly smiled. "Thanks, Victor."

Victor butted against me. "Of course. Anything for my girl."

I smiled and bumped against Victor. We sat on the curb and talked for hours. We told stories about our families and our childhood.

When the sun was setting, Victor got up. He offered his hand I took it. He pulled me to my feet and we started walking home. Victor held my hand and kept sending me smiles.

When we turned the corner, there was a group of guys sitting on the steps and in chairs in the yard of a house. They nodded to Victor and one of them said something. Victor tightened his grip on my hand and pulled me close. His face was stern and he said something that seemed rather rude back.

The interaction only lasted a few minutes before Victor walked off, taking me with him. It wasn't until a few blocks away before I asked Victor what happened.

"Those were some gang members," Victor signed, his face somber. "They made comments about you that I didn't like and I didn't want you to be around them."

I looked down, thinking for a moment. "Are you caught up with them?"

Victor shook his head. "I'm not. I wanted to join them at some point but then I met you. There's no need to join a gang when I have you."

I smiled a little. "That's nice of you. I don't want you around those guys again. They seemed scary."

Victor squeezed my hand and gave me a reassuring smile. "We won't be around them anymore. I'll be here to protect you."

I smiled. "Thanks."

Victor nodded, smirking, and he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. He took me home and walked me to my door.

Dad was waiting for me. He greeted Victor and talked to him for a few minutes, signing the entire conversation.

They seemed to be getting along just fine. Victor even smiled when Dad offered to have him come over for dinner.

"Of course," Victor said. "I'll be there."

Victor hugged me goodbye and left. I went to my room after saying goodbye to Dad. I got changed and climbed into bed, grabbing a book off my nightstand. I read late into the night, eventually getting too tired to read the words.