16. Running

I woke up when Victor got up. He signed an apology and kissed my cheek. The others were getting up to and leaving the room. I joined them and saw they were raiding my cabinets for food. They started making breakfast and it was done within the hour.

We all sat in the living room, eating. It was super earlier and everyone looked tired. After they ate, they headed off, promising to come get me before practice. Josephina left too, leaving me all to my lonesome. I liked being alone though. It was nice and peaceful. I couldn't hear though, which made my paranoia worse.

I went into my room and started writing. After I got bored with that, I grabbed a book and sat on the porch. I had been reading a while before I saw the guys running toward me. I smiled and put my book inside. I grabbed my bike from the garage and joined the guys, riding alongside them.

They led me to the school and I saw an older guy waiting. I recognized him as Coach White, Julie's dad. Victor talked to him and signed that it was fine for me to ride along.

Coach talked for a bit before we headed off. I rode beside them, quiet as a church mouse. They ran for miles, through the dusty streets, and through the orchards. We took a break and sat down beneath the shade of some of the trees. I sat beside Thomas and Victor, the only two who knew ASL fluently.

"Coach wants to know if you'll join the girls cross country," Victor said. "He was thinking of starting one this year and he needs girls."

I shrugged. "I'm already busy with work and the school stuff. I don't think I'll have time. I could be like a cheerleader though."

Victor told my response to Coach White and he nodded, speaking.

"He said you can do that, Athena," Victor said. "You can come to practice and all that stuff. Even come to competitions too. Besides, everyone on the team loves you."

I smiled. "Thanks. I love you guys and I want to help you guys win. You're a good team."

Victor signed thank you and we started talking a bit longer. We left a few minutes later and we rode until close to dinner. The guys made sure I got home safely before they left. Victor stayed with me and came inside. Dad wasn't home yet so the house was quiet.

I sat down on the couch. "What do you want to do?"

Victor sat beside me. "Talk with you. We've been spending a lot of time in the fields or at school and we haven't gone on a date in a while."

"True," I said. "How's your family?"

"They're during well," Victor replied. "Mom says she wants you to come around more. She really likes you and she says you rarely ever come over."

I smiled. "That's sweet. Your mom is really sweet. I could come over for dinner tomorrow."

Victor nodded. "I think that's a really good idea. She and I would like that a lot."

"I'm sure," I said. "I love her food. She cooks really well."

"She is," Victor said. "Is there anything on tv?"

"I think," I replied, "though I must admit I'm unable to listen."

Victor laughed. "Naturally. I may have asked this before but have you ever tried -?"

"Speaking?" I interrupted. "No. I don't want to sound dumb."

"You won't," Victor assured. "None of the people around you will ever call you dumb. They'd congratulate you for trying."

I shook my head. "I'm much better with my hands. I don't want to speak. Not yet, at least."

Victor smiled understandingly. "That's okay, Athena. I'll be here when you're ready."

I nodded. "Thank you, Victor. You're a kind boyfriend."

"I try."

Before I could respond, Dad walked in. He greeted us and put his stuff away. He came back out.

"Have you guys eaten dinner?" Dad asked.

I shook my head. "No. Are you going to make something?"

"Maybe," Dad said. "Do you want to stay for dinner, Victor?"

Victor nodded. "I would love to."

Dad nodded and went into the kitchen. Victor and I joined him and helped him cook. We sat down after it was done and ate.

After dinner, Victor and I went out to sit on the porch. We sat on the porch swing and I put my legs on his lap. Victor pulled me close and rested his head at the base of my neck. We sat like that for a while before Victor tapped my thigh.

"I have to go," Victor said, lifting his head. "I'll see you tomorrow at school. You'll be going to the fields with the Diaz boys, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I'll see you then."

Victor kissed me goodbye and jogged off, waving goodbye as he did. I watched him for as long as I could and when he disappeared, I went inside, leaving the uncomfortable heat outside.