1) The good (and fast) Samaritan

In the words of a good friend: Let's melt some more hearts. For the last time. Final part of the series. Hopefully, you'll enjoy.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Aliens. Why was it always aliens?

Extremely annoying ones on top of that.

They had fucking tentacles – or multiple limbs, whatever they called it. The thing was, they had four 'arms', which made them incredibly handful, pun definitely intended. And what was making it worse? Once you cut off one limb, two grew in its place.

More than once during the fight, in which New Yorkers were being terrorized again, you wondered if these particular creatures, aka Tentacles, had been on Earth before, possibly meeting Hydra. You couldn't imagine the Nazis' organization getting the inspiration for their motto anywhere else.

Apparently, they loved going after Captain America too. Then again, they generally didn't seem to be fond of the group of superhumans standing in their way of invading this planet.

Pinning two Tantacles to a wall by spray of thick icicles, you allowed yourself to breathe in after a long time. If you were being honest, you wouldn't mind if Tentacles were the ones whose population would stay with the half of them erased from existence by Thanos. Seriously. They were obviously dickheads.

Taking few more breaths, indulging the feeling of having time to do so, you scanned your surroundings; the fight was definitely going your way, the aliens falling one after another, but the damage to the area was huge. It was a miracle no building had collapsed yet, but you had a hunch it wouldn't take long. Wanda was helping with removing the civilians out of the harm's way with her mental powers, but several blocks had been hit. You hadn't had your eyes on her for a while now.

Hearing a roar by your right, you were immediately back to the highest alert. Tentacle no.39 was not coming your way though; it went after Natasha. You sent an icicle right through the creature's belly, killing it at instant. Nat just nodded your way and threw herself back into the fight. You did the same.

Your whole body hurt, burning with exhaustion, but you knew you had to keep going. Even when a warning pinch bit the base of your spine; you were getting really fed up with this whole fail-safe trigger, because in moments like this, you simply couldn't allow yourself to stop fighting in order to be fine. You were supposed to push yourself to your very limits, because lives were at stake.

Unfortunately, you didn't have a choice.

You slowed down a little, trying to stay closer to Steve who was the nearest. He must have caught up on you pulling back, because he stated fighting with more ferocity. You noticed he didn't have his helmet anymore and it made you bite the bullet and throwing yourself back into the fight despite knowing the pain would only grow with time and at point, it would paralyze you. But Steve had lost his fucking helmet again and he had the armour for reason goddammit!

And then the battle was over. Car alarms sounded all around you, smoke rising to the sky, flames licking anything they reached; you did your best to put the fire out. It was why you didn't notice it at first – the loud creak of metal tens feet away, but then the concrete started screaming, just like the people.

You snapped your head that way, only to see a restaurant collapsing onto itself.

With people still in it.

You acted on instinct, sending the thickest layer of ice to slow down the falling debris, seeing a flush of red energy heading the same way. You felt the nudge of the weight at your and Wanda's defence.