12) I need a hero

Flashforward no.3

Alternatively: The First Time Grace Rogers Saved Her Father and Proved She Was Her Parents' Daughter

-.-.-

Steve wasn't even sure what the gala was for, only being certain it wasn't for celebrating Grace's birthday – because he wouldn't miss that. It was one of those head honchos party Tony threw from time to time, mostly for courtesy. Avengers PR. Keeping people on their good side.

While Steve didn't exclusively mind, he couldn't say he was enjoying it either. Grace was somewhere in the crowd, smiling politely or laughing at (usually Sam's) jokes and he caught her bright eyes from time to time as his (and no matter how much he hated it, hers too) teammates danced with her. She was beauty. She was grace. She was sunshine in the dark place. She was a fighter too, he knew, but not tonight.

Steve found it hard to mingle in the large crowds. While people still approached him, something must have radiated from him, giving his attitude away, the false smile hinting them to keep their distance.

Once again, for the millionth time, he found himself missing you. He was no dancer, but you would have convinced him to at least sway for one or two songs, and he wouldn't even mind that people would be watching you two, possibly thinking you were being ridiculous. The light in your eyes would make him forget about all the noisy looks and his own awkward moves.

So he had parked his behind at the bar, occasionally doing the necessary small talk, otherwise keeping an eye on Grace or talking to Natasha, who was behind the bar for the evening.

And or rare occasion, he would have to deal with very unpleasant company.

The woman had been talking his ear off for the past few minutes – or was it hours? It felt like hours – apparently not minding the lack of his attention.

She completely ignored the lonely-wolf aura the others seemed to pick up on.

She was also very loud.

And she was starting to be tactile, putting a hand on his forearm and bicep.

And most importantly, she seemed a bit inebriated. Then again, the women these days still managed to confuse Steve occasionally. Maybe she was just that forward.

She leaned to his ear – unexplainable gesture since she didn't bother lowering her voice – her hand on him again.

"Come on, handsome. I'm flexible – in all senses of the word-"

"Madam-" Steve started, having just enough of her, trying to figure out how to get her off his back without being too rude if possible. But she wouldn't take the hint.

"Yes, Sir? Or, yes, Captain?" She giggled in response and Steve closed his eyes, taking a deep breath and mentally counted to ten. Don't be rude. Don't be mean..., echoed in his head, with barely any effect. "I can call you anything you want. Soldier. Even a-"

"Daddy?"

Steve froze at the voice and the hand on his other shoulder. The touch of his companion immediately disappeared.

Natasha behind the bar barely held back a snort as the 'flexible woman' choked on her own spit. The timing. It wasn't a public knowledge that Steve and Grace were related, let alone so closely. Oh god, this was golden.

"Hi, babygirl, is everything okay?" Steve asked his daughter with concern.

This time Natasha did let out a strangled sound, disguising it as a cough. Steve was either oblivious to the beautiful double meaning or used the endearment on purpose. Probably not the latter, because Steve Rogers was not capable thinking that way about his daughter, not even when joking. Grace, on the other hand, definitely went with the addressing on purpose, Natasha was sure of it.