13) Goodbye (I'll see you soon)

Here we go. Lastchapter/epilogue is here - 13 is a lucky number after all. What a ride. 

-.-.-

To say that the others were taken aback by your plan would be an understatement. It ignited a whole new heated discussion, full of disgusted yelling and accusations.

"You're okay with this?!" Bucky cried out, furious glare piercing Steve and you couldn't but shield your man protectively as he winced at his friend's rage, his eyes falling shut as if he had learned the devastating news about your destiny for the first time.

"Bucky, don't," you warned him. "You know he's everything but okay with this. But he knows what needs to be done."

"Really? I think he can speak for himself! Come on, punk! You're seriously just giving up? On her?! Are you out of your mind?"

"Alright, I think that's enough," Sam said lowly, reaching for Bucky's arm.

Incredulous glare was the response he received. "Since when you're on their side?!"

"Barnes, look-"

"We're all gonna have her blood on our hands! We might as well just kill her right now!"

"ENOUGH!" your voice cut him off, the room falling into stunned silence. You could feel everyone's eyes on you. "We're doing this. Wanda figures out a way to erase our memories. Grace comes back to the future. End of story."

"This is a mistake. This is a fucking mistake-"

You closed your eyes with a sigh as the supersoldier exited the room, swearing in Russian.

"Can we all agree that we hate this solution, but it needs to be done?" you asked in a whisper.

Various forms of agreement came from all remaining people in the room; including Natasha's glare and Wanda's most hesitant nod. To be honest, you weren't able to look at Steve. You had taken the initiative, seemingly strong, but you knew one glance at your to-be-husband and you would lose it. You would crumble like a house of cards, becoming a sobbing mess; possibly on the floor, because Steve wouldn't have the energy to catch you this time, so unlike he always did.

"Okay."

---

The deal was that Grace would return back to her time in the morning, which left you one last night to spend with your daughter. The silence between you, Steve and her was deafening though. The aura of desperation was weighting all of you, dragging you under water.

In the end, Grace just offered you and Steve went to bed, to spend your time together – and she had tears in her eyes when saying so. She was very perceptive; she could tell Steve was still trying to wrap his head around the time-travelling thing and, more importantly, the daughter thing. You could tell Steve was trying his best, but you knew he couldn't but hate Grace for bringing the gloomy news about your early passing.

For the longest time, you were just lying together in bed, staring to the ceiling. Steve's arm was pulling you to his form tighter than usual and you could hear the wheels in his head turning furiously. The tension in his muscles was so powerful and radiant that you would be able to tell even without being pressed to his side, his pulse so fast and loud you would have heard it even without having your head resting on his chest.

Neither of you spoke. You just were.

When you heard him inhale shakily, you knew what he was going to say.

"Bucky's wrong," you spoke up before he could, immediately feeling his fingers in your hair flex, knowing you hit the nail on the head. "You're not giving up. You're being brave-"