5) Mother(hen)

The exhaustion took a toll on you and Katie herself actually sent you to bed, assuring you she trusted Doctor Banner. You were touched at the gesture, but the training you had received still flickered a tiny bit in you – you didn't want her to be alone for various reasons.

So you decided to take turns now; while you and Steve finally went to bed, Sam and Tony replaced you in the lab. Bruce stayed – and you understood, alright, he was fascinated and he was like a bulldog when he sunk his teeth into a problem, he just couldn't let go until he found a solution –, but he was starting to get high on caffeine and you weren't sure it was a good thing.

When you re-entered the lab eight hours later, you found two sleep-deprived scientists and one supersoldier keeping Katie company. Which seemed unnecessary since she was soundly asleep, her hand curled around her necklace. You would never admit it out loud, but she looked kind of cute, few years younger now.

You noticed a fair shake of snacks wrappings on the table next to her, but paid no mind to it. You knew how that felt, needing energy, especially after shaking with cold for hours. Plus, you assumed that with her speed, she needed to eat a lot.

While Tony and Bruce discussed things you didn't understand (something about a new round of tests), Bucky was sitting by Katie's bedside, watching her intently.

"Watching someone sleep is creepy, Barnes," you whispered, a useless gesture apparently, since dynamic Iron-Hulk duo was in a heated discussion, not minding their volume at all despite the sleeping girl.

Bucky raised his gaze and made sure you saw him roll his eyes.

"She just looks familiar, is all," he shrugged, standing up to stretch his muscles. His back popped as he raised his arms above his head. "You're taking over baby-sitting duty, mom?"

Your eyebrows rose simultaneously with Steve's.

"Mom?" you parroted dully, not even noticing Tony's and Bruce's voices falling silent.

"What? You found a stray and took her under your wings. You're mother-henning her. She's asking about you non-stop. You might as well be her actual mommy."

Bruce spitted out his coffee, coughing violently as the liquid must have got to the wrong pipe of his. Tony patted his back, only to be stopped by his hand.

"Wow, Bruce. If your body can't even tell the difference between swallowing and breathing, you really should get some rest..." Tony mocked him and Bruce shot him an irritated look with his red-rimmed glistering eyes.

"I'm fine, Mr. I Have More Coffee In My Bloodstream Than Blood," Bruce murmured back, small cough escaping him once more.

You chuckled at the note. Bruce was silent and serious most of the time, but when he opened his mouth...

Your gaze returned to the bed before glancing up to Bucky, who was giving you a my-point-exactly look. It was your turn to roll your eyes.

"At least I'm not watching her sleep exclusively. She really asked about me?"

"All the friggin' time, she was almost ignoring me," Bucky confirmed, patting Steve's arm on his way out. "Pal, I think we're getting too old to charm a lady. You better keep your gal on leash, because you won't manage to get any other."

"You could always try guys, Barnes!" Tony called out after him, while Steve just huffed at your side.

"Been there, done that! Just not the same, Stark!"

And the door clicked shut behind him. You shot Steve a surprised look. "He has?"

"Not sure, actually," he sighed and then crossed his arms on his chest. "Do you think I'm old?"