Tevun-Krus VIII: Dystopian

Let me take you back to SP in eighth grade

I was sitting in English class, the left side of the room, in a shiny-topped desk. We were no less than a week out from reading some scary story that I don't recall the name of. I do remember, however, that I had to ask friends from the last class how the chapter book ended because I didn't finish it, and knew that would be on the test.

I loved to read, but hated to read when they made me read.

Anybody feel me?

These memories made me sigh as Mrs. Thompson handed out our next required reading assignment.

It was a small book with a black cover. I was at once struck by the picture of the old man's face on the front, and the simplicity of the title, written in gold above his head.

The Giver.

I was immediately swept away by this story of a young man named Jonas and his futuristic, colorless world. Throughout the story, I would put it down and consistently find myself asking, "Why?"

Why were there no colors? No choices? No arguments, tantrums, or disagreements?

You see, I have always been fascinated with people and why they do the things they do. The human condition. Culture. Resiliency. I think it's absolutely fascinating, and still do for that matter.

For this matter, however, I'll have you know, that I finished The Giver in a matter of days—reading far ahead of my classmates and finishing the book long before it's required due date.

I had loved it, I had inhaled it. It was like I had found a new type of drug: dystopian fiction; and The Giver was my gateway inside.

For the next few years, I inhaled whatever I could get my hands on starting with A Handmaid's Tale, and walking through others that you know: 1984, Fahrenheit 451 (which I read solely because it was on a "banned books" list. Rebel.), A Brave New World, Anthem, Gathering Blue, Feed, The Hunger Games...

Fifteen years later, since that fateful day with that little black book with that little old man on it's cover, I have poured over this particular subgenre. I love—and read—all types of science fiction. I am not biased, and believe they all have a little of each subgenre tucked away somewhere in their pages. However, dystopian scifi, even before I knew what it was, has long since been my favorite.

I have immensely enjoyed reading and even writing a bit of what goes on in the pages to come. I hope that you do, too.