First Light: A Review

One of our reviews for this month's issue of Tevun Krus is from Forbidden Planet favorite, @sigrist.

For any of us who are acquainted with Adam Sigrist, you know that it seems as though any post, status, or prompt from Adam is filled with some mention of TPZ, or The Zombie Prophecies. There are currently three of parts of the story: TPZ: First Light; TPZ II: A continuation of the first plot; and TPZ: Samantha's Story- the newest and latest addition to the TPZ Chronicles that leads up to the days of the apocalypse. 

Today, we will be looking at Sigrist's first installment, TPZ: First Light. 

Let me start by saying, zombie culture is just not my thing

Anything that I have ever read, watched, or listened to with the stiff-armed, rotting corpses is most likely to get turned off, trashed, put down, or pushed from my mind as quickly as possible. 

Why? 

Well, zombies are... gross

Well, they are. 

But they also make one kick ass addition to a dystopian scifi story. 

Enter: First Light. 

The Basics: 

For those of you not familiar with TPZ, if you were to read the lead-ups, you might fall into the trap of thinking that TPZ is "just another zombie novel". But, as you keep reading, you will find that First Light is a story of zombies, yes, but also overlapping story lines that come together under a shroud of mystery. There is a blinking light deep in the city that calls to those who’ve managed to evade what plagues their rotting brethren.

The Good, the Bad, & the Ok, That Was Fun.

The Bad:

Zombies (really, Adam, I’m sorry.), Adam’s refusal to use the Oxford comma, and lots of names to keep track of.

The Good:

The grammar, the plot (yes, even the zombies), and Sigrist’s descriptive writing style.

Props to Sigrist for publishing First Light (it’s now available on Amazon, go support our friend!). However, if you’re selling something there, you can’t blame him for not wanting to give it away for free, no matter how great his love for us. Therefore, First Light is only a sample consisting of seven very well written chapters.

But listen, if you head over to his page right now and begin reading First Light, you will immediately be swept away into the first-person telling of a not only a zombie’s walk through the middle of town, but also the inner struggle of a commanding voice in the supposedly not-all-there’s man’s head. I was thoroughly impressed by Sigrist’s quick, quirky, and colorful writing style. I think you would be, too.

In the End…

It’s something worth checking out. Adam Sigrist has obviously put a lot of work into TPZ, and it’s well worth a looksie.