8

MIKKI REFUSES TO LET ME SEE MY REFLECTION until she's done with my hair and makeup. She pokes, prods, and scratches at what feels like every inch of my face, stepping back with an accomplished grin what feels like an hour later. "There," she says, her eyes bright with excitement. "I couldn't have done it better." Slowly, she steps over to my full-body mirror and pulls off the impromptu sheet covering it, her eyes closely watching me to see my reaction.

At first I forget that I'm disguised and look nothing like my ordinary self, but the heavy weight on my right wrist reminds me otherwise. My ability to breathe disappears as I take in my tight bun, my white-blonde hair shining with gel. Then my eyes travel further down to my face, and I can't help but gasping.

Though I asked Mikki to keep my makeup conservative, she took her own liberties in interpreting what, exactly, I wanted. Soft black powder shadows my eyelids, and my lashes, though naturally long, brush against my eye socket with every flick of my gaze. Somehow, she made my cheekbones appear higher than normal, giving me a sharp, regal look that's subtle enough I know I'll be left alone.

"Wow," is all I can say as I take in the rest of my outfit: tight black leggings and a black tunic overshadowing a loose-fitting green shirt that hangs far below my wrists. "This makes me wonder what you would have done if you had had your way."

Mikki chuckles and examines me one last time, then snaps her trunks closed. "You look beautiful, Ashlyn. Don't let anyone forget that." She winks, then loops her arm through mine and marches me to the door to my room. "We're going to go to the dining hall now, and you're going to keep your chin high every step of the way."

I open my mouth the protest, but Mikki cuts me off, holding up a finger. "No. Think of this as your first lesson in self-confidence. Do as I say, and no one will bother you again." Then she opens my door and leads me through the crowded halls of the school. "Remember," she says, gripping my arm and leaning her mouth close to my ear, "today, the entire school is going to watch all the first-years discover their dragons. Every eye will be on you."

"No pressure," I squeak out right as we reach the dining hall.

Mikki grins. "Exactly! Good luck. You'll do great." She winks, then disappears into the crowd of boys at the entrance to the dining hall, leaving me alone at yet another meal. Sighing, I search for Oliver, but he's nowhere to be found, so I hurry over to the food and grab what my appetite will allow before finding an empty seat at a nearly-empty table.

Glancing anxiously around me, I take in my surroundings while scarfing down my breakfast, eager to get out as fast as possible. The hall seems designed to echo even the quietest sound, amplifying the yelling of the students around me to a nearly unbearable level.

"Mind if I sit here?"

I jump slightly and glance over my shoulder. A tall boy with black hair and dark brown eyes stands before me, dressed in all black. It seems like something straight out of one of my visions, and I shiver. "Y-Yeah, sure. I don't mind." The boy doesn't say a word as he sets his plate down next to me and sits. His plate is piled high with food, and I don't stop myself from staring as he digs in, stuffing a mouthful of food into his mouth.

Seeming to sense my gaze, he glances up at me, glaring. "What?"

I shake my head quickly. "Nothing." After a beat, I ask, "Why did you sit with me?"

The boy gives a half-shrug and continues eating. Done with my food, I stand and get ready to leave, but the boy quickly shakes his head, taking a swig of his drink and saying, "No! I, uh, wanted to talk to you."

Slowly sitting back down, I lower my eyebrows. "Why would you want to do that? Shouldn't you be afraid of me or something?"

The boy raises his eyebrows. "Should I be?"

"I guess not."

The boy grins. "Then it's settled. I'm not afraid of you." He takes another bite of his food, and I examine at him, wishing things were that easy. Why can't all the students be that accepting? After a moment, the boy holds out his hand. "My name's Nikolai."

I take his hand and shake. "Ciana."

"Ciana," Nikolai says slowly, nodding a little bit. "It's pretty. I like it." He takes another bite of his food while I sit next to him awkwardly, unsure of what to say. Finally his plate is clean, and he stands. I follow suit as he says, "It was nice meeting you, Ciana. I guess I'll see you later?"

I nod. "Yeah, I guess." Then he's gone, leaving me alone at my table. Right as I'm about to leave the my seat, a hand taps my shoulder, and I whirl around to meet Oliver's gaze.

"Hurry, throw away your trash," he says, glancing around us as I realize the dining hall is nearly empty. "We're running late."

The tone of his voice pushes me to obey; I throw away the scraps of food I didn't finish before returning to Oliver, who stands near the entrance to the dining hall. "What's wrong?" I ask, but he's already heading down a hallway, and I'm forced to follow him, passing few people on our journey to who-knows-where. "Oliver, where are we going?"

He gives me a quick glance, his eyes running over my makeup with raised brows. Suddenly I feel stupid for making such a big deal over how I look, and I have the urge to ask for a makeup wipe or something to make me look as ordinary and inconspicuous as possible. "We're going to get your dragon," Oliver finally says, sighing. "I'm sorry if I seemed short with you earlier. Today has rough memories for me."

"It's okay," I say, watching the walls go from sleek and fresh to cracked and broken-down. Lanterns become few and far between until the shadows they cast on the walls remind me of the ones from my nightmare. I shiver. "What is this place?"

"It's the oldest part of the castle," Oliver explains. "I'm going to leave you here alone and let you find your way to your dragon's egg. It's one of the hardest things you'll have to do here, but if you get through it, you have a dragon, and you're officially a student."

I gulp. "And if I can't find my dragon?" We come to a stop at a dead end, where two hallways branch off so far I can't see their ends.

Oliver turns to me. "Let's not worry about that. Good luck, Ashlyn. I know you're going to do amazing." He gives me a sad smile before disappearing back down the way we came, leaving me alone in the near-darkness. 

What do you think is going to happen? Let me know in the comments, and please vote if you enjoyed reading this chapter! <3

~ Amber