21

THE SUN IS JUST PEEKING over the horizon when we make it outside. I stand near the edge of the group, my arms wrapped around my torso, watching as people clad in white robes separate us into a single-file line along the tree line. It takes a while, but eventually they're finished; I stand a few feet away from two boys on either side, anxiously waiting for Professor Singh to release us into the darkness of the forest.

"Hey, Ciana," the boy to my right says. I turn to where he's standing, my eyes narrowing of their own accord once I recognize Colin.

"I told you," I say with an edge to my voice, "I don't have time for a jerk that mistreats my friend." As soon as the words leave my mouth, I realize what I've said. Friend. That's what Nikolai is, right? The closest thing I've ever had to friends were some of my servants, and even then, they weren't technically allowed to speak more than a 'yes, ma'am' to me.

Colin frowns. "So Nikolai's your friend now?" I don't miss the sudden hardness of his voice.

"What, are you jealous?" The words are out of my mouth before I realize it, but a rush of satisfaction fills my chest at the look of surprise on Colin's face. "I was under the impression you didn't even like Nikolai."

Colin's fists clench, and he opens his mouth to respond, but behind us, Professor Singh blows a whistle, effectively cutting off any conversation we may have had as everyone around us rushes into the woods. In a flash, Nikolai is at my side, his hand closed tightly around my wrist. "Follow me!" he says over the clamor around us, pulling me with him into the woods.

I have no choice but to follow him; we quickly reach the forest and dive into the cover of the trees. Something about the atmosphere has me gasping for breath, though, and I find myself stumbling over roots and shrubs as we move deeper into the forest. Tripping over a root, I tumble to the ground, black dots spotting my vision. Over the ringing in my ears, the sound of shuffling approaches, Nikolai's voice calling out to ask if I'm okay.

Ashlyn, Eira calls. I barely hear her, my vision grower darker until the forest disappears and I'm back in the world of endless night. But this time, it's different--Eira's presence still rests in my mind, offering at least some comfort while I wait for whatever vision wants to haunt me next.

Ashlyn, what's going on? a timid Eira asks.

I take a deep breath, shutting my eyes, though that won't make a difference against the oppressive darkness. "This is what happens right before I get a vision," I say out loud in an attempt to give my body stimulation--all senses but sight and sound have gone, leaving me numb to the world around me.

What vis--

The world around us flashes white, and when my eyes adjust, I find myself in Professor Singh's empty office, Eira on my shoulder. Frowning, I take a step forward, jumping when the door opens behind me. "Professor," I say, turning, my face hot. "I didn't mean . . ."

I trail off as Professor Singh completely ignores me, leading Colin, of all people to the Professor's desk. "I hope you don't mind me taking you out of dinner, Colin," Professor Singh is saying, gesturing to the chair in front of his desk. "I just got word that you and Miss Rehlia got into a bit of a dispute."

Eira's confusion matches mine as I take a step forward, stuttering out a, "Professor?" But still, Professor Singh says nothing, leaning back in his chair, his gaze locked firmly on Colin's face. Why did he just use my real name in front of Colin? I desperately wave my hand in front of the headmaster's face, determined to stop him from dismantling my false identity even further.

Ash, there's nothing you can do, Eira says, nuzzling my neck with her snout. This isn't the present; it's just a vision, one you can't change the outcome of. Though true, Eira's words do nothing to calm my panic. If Colin knows my identity, who else does? Who doesn't know I'm royalty? Oliver, the headmaster, Mikki, Colin--what aren't they telling me?

Colin's voice brings my attention back to him and the headmaster. "Professor, I don't know why she's acting like this. I didn't do anything to warrant suspicion or distrust with her. It's like someone is manipulating her emotions to make her dislike me."

Manipulate my emotions? Who would go through that much trouble to make me dislike a boy I've only met once? Eira shifts on my shoulder, her mistrust flowing through our connection and churning my stomach. I don't like this, I say. There's something going on here, something involving me that no one wants to tell me about.

Professor Singh frowns. "I wouldn't jump to conclusions that quickly. We've been as cautious as possible making sure your involvement in protecting Miss Rehlia is never discovered, especially by the only person capable of manipulating emotions like you say."

Colin leans forward, saying something else, but I can't hear it, my surroundings melding together until all I can see is an ocean of ever-changing color. A ball of panic rises in my throat, a sense of vertigo pulsing through my brain. There's nothing to grab on to, but nowhere to fall; Eira's panic amplifies my own through our connection, building until my body is ready to explode--

Finally, the colors sharpen into another scene; I'm still in Professor Singh's office, but it appears to be a different day. "Promise me you'll do your best to guard her. You can't allow her to be alone out there."

Colin nods, his face serious. "I'll try my best, but I can't promise anything. You know she doesn't like me; I doubt she'll let me help her." Protect me? Why in Nightshorne does Professor Singh think I need protecting? Clenching my fists, I think of when I passed out at the Selecting. That was a one time thing, I want to shout. It won't happen again! The last thing I want is for Professor Singh to think I'm weak and incapable of handling myself. I was chosen to be here for a reason.

Professor Singh's gaze burns into Colin with an intensity I've never seen from him. "Just try."

At his words, the world fades to black so fast I don't have time to react. Before I know it, my mind is hurtling towards unconsciousness.

Agh, yes, I realize it's been over a month since I've updated, and I'm so so sorry about that! I've just been lacking inspiration for this story. I know where I want it to go and what the big picture is; I'm just severely lacking on the details.

So please, I need your help. If you're a silent reader who never comments (or if you comment on every chapter; either way): please let me know where you'd expect this story to go. Please give an answer to these questions, so I know where y'all think this story is at and what you expect to happen:

What will happen during the Trials?

What do you think of Nikolai?

What do you think of Colin?

What do you think Ash's powers will be?

Any general predictions for the story?

Thank y'all so much! <3 As always, please don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

~ Amber