10

MY BODY BARELY REGISTERS strong arms holding me up as I struggle not to pass out, my thoughts fuzzy as I try to desperately figure out what in Nightshorne just happened. Dimly I'm aware that I'm being taken away, away from my dragon, my life partner—

"No," I murmur. "No!" Thrashing, I struggle out of my captor's grip and stumble back to my dragon, crouching down and kneeling in front of her—yes, a her, that sounds right, and meeting her gaze. As easily as speaking, I pass a thought to her, begging her to understand, to respond. Don't leave me. Never, ever leave me.

My dragon's lavender eyes settle on me, her emotions running like a river into my soul—joy, apprehension, fullness. "Eira," I breathe, my heart hammering in my chest. "That's your name. Eira." I reach out an arm, wrapping my hand under her underbelly to pick her up, to carry her, to never let her be separated from me, when suddenly she screeches, unfolding big white wings and flapping backwards, her great big eyes filled with pain. No, that's not what I meant to do. I didn't want to hurt you!

"Miss Ashdon, if you don't mind, your dragon needs to recover. Dragons are in a vulnerable state when they hatch, and the dragon queen is no different."

Professor Singh's voice cuts through the storm raging in my mind, settling my thoughts and forcing me to focus on the beautiful beast in front of me; the beautiful beast that's in pain because of me. "I'm sorry," I breathe, straightening and taking a step back. My mind runs over the moment Eira shrieked over and over again like a broken record until I finally force it to focus on Professor Singh's words.

It's then that his words finally sink in, my thoughts freezing at the words dragon queen. "W-What do you mean, the dragon queen?" I ask, glancing at the snow-white dragon in front of me. "You can't mean . . ."

Professor Singh's face grows serious. "Yes, Miss Ashdon. I'll explain in my office." He nods to a boy I hadn't noticed standing off to the side in servant's clothes, and the boy rushes forward, gingerly carrying Eira's nest and stand away from me. Our connection stretches until I can't feel her anymore, a hole I hadn't even realized was there stretching wide in my soul. Gripping the table, I force myself to ignore it and follow Professor Singh out of the huge chamber and into another old hallway.

"I'm sorry," I say as we walk, wringing my fingers together. "I don't know what came over me."

A small smile comes over Professor Singh's face as he glances down at me. "Don't worry, Miss Rehlia. I was running around singing at the top of my lungs when I bonded with Ninque. It's perfectly normal to lose your cool when you first bond."

The thought of a young Professor Singh singing in a pubescent voice has me struggling not to chuckle. "At least the school wasn't afraid of you," I say quietly, thinking suddenly of how bonding with the dragon queen will only make my reputation worse. Why can't I just be normal? I think, instinctively shrinking back at the thought of what happened last night in the courtyard.

Then Mikki appears in my mind's eye, scolding me for letting people's opinions get in the way of what I want to do. Self confidence! I can imagine her saying, wagging her finger at me. The thought helps somewhat, but I still frown at the thought of going around school with Eira.

Eventually, we reach the newer parts of the castle, and I sigh in relief at the familiar painting-filled walls. Professor Singh opens an ornate door and gestures inside his study. It's the same as I remember when I woke up after my Selecting, except this time, there is one more occupant: Oliver. His solemn gaze follows me to my seat, but he doesn't say a word as Professor Singh sits in front of his desk and leans back, folding his hands in front of him.

"I hope you don't mind Oliver being here," he says, smiling briefly. "I asked him to stay and listen so he could hear first-hand what's been going on."

I frown. "What do you mean? Nothing's been going on." Then I pause, thinking of the incident last night in the courtyard. "Oh, if you mean that thing with the boy last night, I really don't mind. It was nothing, really," I say, hoping my cheery voice and practiced smile convince him. The last thing I want him to do is draw more attention to me by punishing the boy or forcing us to work it out.

Professor Singh sighs. "No, this isn't about last night," he says, chuckling a little. "Do you know what color you got at the Selecting, Miss Rehlia?" I shake my head, and he continues. "The Abernathy Stone gave you a white."

As soon as the words are out his mouth, I shake my head. "That's not possible," I say. "White isn't even an option. The highest color one can get is blue." My mind races. He must have seen wrong. Maybe it was the sunlight, or he was distracted, or something. Even if it was possible, why would I, of all people, get that color?

"It is possible, Miss Rehlia," Professor Singh says. "And the last person to get white also happened to be the last female to attend this Academy."

No, no, no. "Are you saying I'm going to end up like her?" I ask, my eyes wide. "I swear I won't. I'll be as good as I can. I won't talk back, I'll try my best, I'll—"

"Miss Rehlia, that is not what we think," Professor Singh says, his eyes serious. "Judging someone based on the actions of people in the past is completely unfair. We hope you'll go down a better path than she did, but we're not going to hold you at the end of a very long stick because of it." Professor Singh pauses, his gaze burning into my mind like fire. "Miss Rehlia, you have my word we will welcome you to this Academy like any other person."

I nod, my mouth suddenly dry. "Thank you."

Professor Singh leans back in his chair, his hands folded across his lap. "With that being said, we must discuss your dragon." He pauses, probably gauging my reaction to his words. My face is set in a scowl from the first part of our conversation, my heart hammering in anticipation to the headmaster's next words. "You happened to bond with the metaphorical dragon queen. Of course, since dragons no longer rule Nightshorne and us humans aren't cowering under them, they don't really need a dragon queen, but we still like to keep track of the royal family's descendants."

"And Eira happens to be one of them?" I ask, clenching the arms of my chair. Of course. Go bond with the most special dragon in Nightshorne. Best way to divert attention, Ashlyn.

Professor Singh nods and opens his mouth to continue when Oliver suddenly says, "I'm sorry, Professor, but may I step out? This is a little much." I glance over to Oliver, completely having forgotten he was in the room with us. His eyes are wide, his face pale and his smile pained. What could have him in such a state?

The headmaster nods, frowning a little bit. "Of course. Take as much time as you need." Oliver gives a shaky nod before standing and leaving the room. Before the door closes behind him, however, a boy pushes open the door, stepping over the threshold.

His eyes widen when he sees me, and he quickly glances up at Professor Singh. "I'm sorry, sir, I didn't realize—"

"You're fine, Colin. I was just finishing up here, anyway." Professor Singh smiles, then focuses his gaze back on me. "Let me know if you need anything else, Ciana. I'll always be here." The name change startles me, and it takes a moment for me to nod, standing and moving towards the door.

Colin's light-blue eyes follow me as I step out of the room, gently closing the door behind me. My mind swims with all the new information, the heavy burden of expectation weighing on my shoulders. I don't notice Oliver next to me until he puts a hand on my shoulder, his eyebrows lowered, his eyes filled with concern.

"I know it's a lot," he says softly. "I'm going to be your mentor, so know you can trust me with anything, okay?"

I nod, my heart hammering in my chest. "Okay."

This chapter is really long with lots of new info! What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments, and please don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

~ Amber